Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 12-25-2021, 11:45 PM

Default Is it possible to change auto save location?

Hello, total newbie here...I've researched the question and consulted the manual, but can't find the answer to this:

Is it possible to change the location of where Pro Tools First saves or auto-saves? When I googled this, it says you could change the location in Preferences, but I can't find Preferences, is that something which is unavailable in the free version? Thanks.
Old 12-26-2021, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Is it possible to change auto save location?

Ah yes, the many limitations of PT First....Look across the top of the main PT window for "Setup". The Preferences link is at the bottom of that dropdown menu(which you may not have)
Hmmm, not sure if any of this helps, but its still worth knowing
#1-always create a "session" and NOT a "project". Why? because a project lives in the cloud while a session lives on your hard drive.
#2-when you create a session, look near the bottom of of the window for an option to "Prompt for location". Make that the default setting and then you will choose where each new session gets stored. The other option(which may or may not be included in PTF) is to set a default location, which SHOULD be found in Setup>Preferences>Operation tab.
#3-auto-save'd session files will always go into the folder called "Session File Backups" within the folder for that session(you can't change this and you shouldn't want to).
#4-if this is not making you happy, what is going on that makes you want to change this? It may be that you just need to alter your approach

One big question is; do you want Pro Tools, or do you just want to do home recording? If Pro Tools is what you want, then I highly recommend buying the regular version(or subscribing) because PTF is severely limited. If you just want to make music, another DAW might be a better option. Audacity is okay for podcasting(its free) and Reaper is a full-featured DAW(free to demo and cheap to buy). Another free DAW is Cakewalk by Bandlab(formerly known as SONAR).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave