Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Couple more questions.

A few more q's Im afraid...

After reading a lot of hype that the processors will soon be switching (To Pentiums or something???) and after reading some posts it seems that some people are advising new buyers to stick out until the changeover has taken place? Is this true or will there be little noticable difference in the performance? I know that either way it is still going to be a beast but when spending over 2 and a half grand on a new system, I would rather wait a bit longer and have something quicker and more powerful. Is this a one-sided argument or are there mixed feelings?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as mentioned above I am keen to get one soon but would like to know that I'm getting the best possible deal for the money.

Do Macs have different RAM or can you swap between Macs and Pc's?
Thanks

L.Dudley
Old 09-09-2005, 02:08 AM

Default Re: Couple more questions.

There's bound to be an improvement when the change to Intel is implemented..... A great deal of the reason that the move from the IBM chips has happened is that the rate of speed increase of chips has slowed dramatically - mac were hoping to have a 3GHz G5 last year! I would imagine that the basis of the deal with Intel is to guarantee that processor speed returns to it's inexorable upward trend.... (after all, how else are mac going to keep selling new units!)

As to whether that means you should wait till then (probably early 2007 before machines are available, and all the bugs are ironed out in applications like PT), well that's a different matter. I'm of the opinion that there's never a good time to buy technology - it's always going to be superceded pretty quickly... The only measure should be "What do I need now".... If you can afford a 2.7GHz G5 with at least 4MEG RAM now, then get it - if you need it. It's as fast as you can get at the moment, and you'll be able to run tonnes of plugs and Virtual instruments. But whatever happens, it will be superceded eventually.... If you can get by at the moment then by all means carry on, but if you wait for the next best thing to come out...... well, there's always something new coming out....!!! The time to make music is NOW! Buy what you need now....
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe