Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2023, 08:53 PM

Default Is Waves committing a crime?

I thought this was an early April fools Joke.

Its like buying a condo you think you own only for the bank and developer to say. Oh no: you just rent forever! If I was a lawyer I would start a class action. Such mendacity!!! pissed off beyond belief!!

B
Old 03-26-2023, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Is Waves committing a crime?

Yeah, they had the Waves plan which was cool as you could get it when you it worked out.

I have a felling they will end up with a hybrid in the future as when they stop supporting OSeses (southpark ref) and people stop their subs.

On the other side, if you were a Mercury plus Abbey Road owner, its actually cheaper.

For some it will work, others it will not. Waves will find that they will need to bring back people when it doesn't work out.
Almost every plugin
Old 03-26-2023, 09:25 PM

They’re not taking away ownership of your perpetual licenses. They’re taking away the ability to update your Perpetual licenses. Thus making them useless after a certain point due to OS updates or DAW updates.

Not defending this action at all. It’s questionable business practice for sure and the uproar will continue for a bit. Whether or not they flex as a result is to be determined.

Based on reactions so far, it’s not going favorably for Waves.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:42 PM

I’m going to be gentle about this but no. They are not committing a crime. The nutters who are saying “class action” have no understanding of laws.

The only persons with possible legal action are recent WUP buyers. Because Waves has to honour the terms of purchase (the goods as they were purchased.) At the moment, it is unclear what they are doing about that. On the face, they are saying they are going to violate terms of sale. But until it actually happens (they could also refund still) there are no grounds of legal action.

Just a lot hurt feelings and stupid people who don’t know how the law works.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:15 PM

Nothing unclear about WUP.

It’s stated in the FAQs that you will receive updates and dual activations for the duration of your WUP. Once that expires, you can not reWUP and will be stuck on the version you’re currently on. No different to what AVID does with perpetual plans.

The only difference between what Waves are doing and what AVID does is that AVID are keeping perpetual renewals (currently) whereas Waves are stopping support for perpetual owners. What you have now is where it ends.

Not a fan either for the record. Just stating facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2023, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Nothing unclear about WUP.

It’s stated in the FAQs that you will receive updates and dual activations for the duration of your WUP. Once that expires, you can not reWUP and will be stuck on the version you’re currently on.
That’s not what it states. Check again. But they haven’t violated laws… yet. Someone has to hit WUP expiration first to see.
Old 03-26-2023, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
On the other side, if you were a Mercury plus Abbey Road owner, its actually cheaper.
Please tell me how? WUP was 300 even if you let it lapse, but 25 a month is 300 a year without that possibility.
Old 03-27-2023, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
It’s stated in the FAQs that you will receive updates and dual activations for the duration of your WUP.
Actually it states that you will receive updates to V14 plug-ins for the duration of your WUP. If Waves releases V15 next week, you will not be eligible to upgrade to that version.
Old 03-27-2023, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Steele View Post
Actually it states that you will receive updates to V14 plug-ins for the duration of your WUP. If Waves releases V15 next week, you will not be eligible to upgrade to that version.
Quite right. As far as I can see, this is the potential area of criminality, but an expert would have to look at the wording. If v15 is released in July, and someone who bought the WUP in February doesn't get updated, this looks like a crime.

There is an easy out for them though, and I suspect this is their legally-advised plan - no v15 for anyone until March 27, 2024.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 03-27-2023, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
That’s not what it states. Check again. But they haven’t violated laws… yet. Someone has to hit WUP expiration first to see.

This is what it says in the FAQ.

You will continue to receive updates for V14 plugins for the duration of your current Waves Update Plan coverage.

Once the coverage expires, it will not be possible to renew, but you can continue to use your plugin/bundle licenses on all systems and host applications that are compatible with the versions you own.

Future plugin updates will be available exclusively with Waves Creative Access.

Unless you’re referring to the v14 wording that James pointed out, then I’m not sure how what I wrote is incorrect.

The v14 wording is an interesting point though and I must admit, I didn’t really think about that aspect. Considering they’re AAX AS Native as of v14, it probably won’t matter too much if v15 comes out within the year, at least for macOS users.

Who knows, they may even do away with version numbers all together with this subscription model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk