Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2021, 10:42 AM

Default If I donīt renew my anual plan, will pro tools stop working?

Hi All: I made the mistake of surrendering my perpetual pro tools license. And I have to renew in one month. For me it is a pointless expense, since I do not need so many updates. Can someone tell me if by not renewing my annual membership, Pro tools will stop working?

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:44 AM

Default Re: If I donīt renew my anual plan, will pro tools stop working?

If you have subscription license, it will only work as long as you keep paying.

If you have perpetual license, it will continue working but you will not get updates.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:04 AM

Hi JFreak.
Thanks for your help.
I am confused about the licensing options, but as far as I understand, I had a perpetual license, but avid asked me to give it up and switch to the subscription model a year ago for $ 99.00 USD. I don't know if when I bought this crossgrade I lost my perpetual license, how can I know if I still have the perpetual license?
Old 10-29-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERGIO NARANJO View Post
Hi JFreak.
Thanks for your help.
I am confused about the licensing options, but as far as I understand, I had a perpetual license, but avid asked me to give it up and switch to the subscription model a year ago for $ 99.00 USD. I don't know if when I bought this crossgrade I lost my perpetual license, how can I know if I still have the perpetual license?

Login to your iLok License Manager and see how it is. The license either says subscription or perpetual.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:49 AM

My Ilok says subscription.
Big mistake I did Ą

Thanks JFreak.
Old 10-31-2023, 01:14 PM

I made the same mistake a few years ago ... I'm in the process of moving everything from PT to Studio One because PT has proven they really don't care about those of us who have been loyal to PT for 20+ years. I don't even want to think about how much money I've spent/wasted on PT since they changed to the subscription platform and then kept increasing the pricing.

I'll probably just downgrade to monthly until I have all of the sessions copied over to S1. It's a real shame they have screwed the home/small studio people with their poorly chosen business models.

Great product ... terrible business and support
Old 10-31-2023, 01:33 PM
Avid

Hi SERGIO NARANJO,

We actually re-introduced new Pro Tools Perpetual, also if you have an old Pro Tools 9, 10, 11 license, you may use that as an upgrade path to get a perpetual license for a cheaper price.
To create an Avid Support Case, you may go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-support/contact-audio-and-music-support
Old 10-31-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songster View Post
I made the same mistake a few years ago ... I'm in the process of moving everything from PT to Studio One because PT has proven they really don't care about those of us who have been loyal to PT for 20+ years. I don't even want to think about how much money I've spent/wasted on PT since they changed to the subscription platform and then kept increasing the pricing.

I'll probably just downgrade to monthly until I have all of the sessions copied over to S1. It's a real shame they have screwed the home/small studio people with their poorly chosen business models.

Great product ... terrible business and support
Now your'e trolling this thread. You already started your own troll thread. Don't jump onto others.

You weren't loyal, you were cheap. I can bet you stayed on the same version of Pro Tools for years without paying the annual support or upgrade. Then, all of sudden, you bought a new computer and needed to update Pro Tools. Unfortunately for you, that was during a time when Perpetual licenses weren't being sold anymore and there wasn't the perpetual update plan. So, you were forced into the subscription model. Now, you're probably tired of paying for the subscription and want to stop, but can't, because if you do you'll loose your Pro Tools license. So instead of just buying into a perpetual license, which is now available, you just want to bash on Avid? Am I at least 90% accurate?
Old 11-03-2023, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Now your'e trolling this thread. You already started your own troll thread. Don't jump onto others.

You weren't loyal, you were cheap. I can bet you stayed on the same version of Pro Tools for years without paying the annual support or upgrade. Then, all of sudden, you bought a new computer and needed to update Pro Tools. Unfortunately for you, that was during a time when Perpetual licenses weren't being sold anymore and there wasn't the perpetual update plan. So, you were forced into the subscription model. Now, you're probably tired of paying for the subscription and want to stop, but can't, because if you do you'll loose your Pro Tools license. So instead of just buying into a perpetual license, which is now available, you just want to bash on Avid? Am I at least 90% accurate?
First I'm far from cheap. Second, I wasn't trolling this thread, I believe I found this one before I started my own, and even if not, isn't this set up so we can search for answers to our questions? Third, I got every version, every update, every time, since 2001, except for the two years when I had to move due to my parents passing away and having to leave Nashville to go back to their home to handle the estate. I built my own computers so I updated them as needed.

I'm 65 years old and have been in the music business in one fashion or another most of my life. I've spent over 10,000 in studio/engineering education and mentor students as well and began working in studios and running live sound systems in the late 70's.
So for you to make the assumptions you did doesn't make you smart ... it makes you an ass. Before you bash someone you know nothing about, you might want to look a little deeper. Better yet, keep your opinions to yourself and just answer questions you're qualified to answer.