Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 08-30-2012, 09:19 AM

Default HD Native with Thunderbolt?

I know I'm probably asking something that has been asked before but I'm in the market to upgrade my gear and having a preference for higher end but portable, my preference would be for a device in a 1U package with a Thunderbolt interface as it seems likely that this standard will surpass Firewire especially as more high-resolution audio interface manufacturers have already released equipment, option cards or announced it's availability in products in the very near future since the Mbox Pro and Pro Tools HD Series interfaces were introduced in 2010, it would also stand to reason that we're fast approaching 2013 and a refresh is inevitable?

Obviously I understand if nothing can be said publically but I guess I'm just trying to ensure value from expenditure if something is just around the corner so to speak and it never hurts to ask the question .

Any enlightenment would be very much appreciated.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:08 AM

Default Re: HD Native with Thunderbolt?

Going by Avid's history, HD interfaces usually last about 7-8 years before being refreshed, and lower budget interfaces at least 4-5 years. So don't expect an update anytime soon.

If you want to use an HD system in a portable fashion, your best bet is to use one of the new PCIe to Thunderbolt adapters.

It's also possible they could have a new product that features Thunderbolt, such as a 004, but I wouldn't expect a refresh of the others anytime soon.

AES is coming in October, that's typically when they announce new products.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:13 AM

Avid is not going to answer this, disclosing their future product details.

A currently 'hot' interface is the UA Apollo, fairly small and has an optional Thunderbolt interface card coming.

Darryl
Old 08-30-2012, 12:41 PM

Thanks nst7, very appreciative of the feedback mate.

Thanks Darryl, which I did elude to but it's worth asking regardless as this has been fruitful for me to do some research into the PCI-e to Thunderbolt interface option as this would be ideal, making an investment with a preference for long term use which is why I would prefer to keep as much as I can to Avid's gear.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:52 PM

AVID HD Native with thunderbolt - announced!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:27 PM

OK I'm a dummy, I don't get how this works.

So you still need an AVID IO...right?

Wonder if the TB has any advantages over the PCIe Native card...is this just something for people who want to use laptops?

TH
Old 09-06-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
OK I'm a dummy, I don't get how this works.

So you still need an AVID IO...right?

Wonder if the TB has any advantages over the PCIe Native card...is this just something for people who want to use laptops?

TH
Yes its mostly focused at laptops or iMacs or (soon more) all-in-one PCs etc. with thunderbolt and no available PCIe slots.

Thunderbolt for this purpose *is* PCIe, its PCIe protocol over a remote wire. this box is just analogous to a PCIe native card but remoted over Thunderbolt. This is basically what I (and others) have understood Avid demoed at AES in the past - they essentially stuck a Native PCIe card in an interface box and remoted it over Thunderbolt. I would not hold my breath thinking it is going to be lower latency than the current PCIe native card, but it would be interesting to know the actual internal chipset details (anybody who gets one... and is willing to open it up...), but I expect a tiny extra amount of latentcy, maybe too small to worry about.

This is the most logical/best move right now for Avid, they have great IO boxes that this is all compatible with. Studios can share those boxes with HDnative/PCIe HDX and HDnative/Thunderbolt controllers.

I want one...

Darryl
Old 09-07-2012, 03:44 AM

Given Avid's typical pricing structure, I fear you'll be paying more money for this box than you would for a Magma TB chassis + HD Native card and get two fewer slots...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 09-07-2012, 03:56 AM

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...#disqus_thread

Hurray ! Finally....i'm just a bit baffled as to why it's not a regular 1u Rack-mount design,? As it *has* to be paired with an AVID interface, this surely would have made a an awful lot more sense !

As it is, its got an external 'brick' power-supply, & looks like it's been jammed into an M-box case.

Ah well, lets be grateful for small mercies, at least AVID are finally giving folks what they've been asking for !

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 09-07-2012, 04:13 AM

considering it has a headphone amp in it I would assume there's a chance you don't NEED to have it setup with a avid IO All the time.

Seems to me like you'll be able to use it on the go, for editing/mixing and be able to use the higher quality headphone amp.

Otherwise, I don't see the point of putting in a headphone amp.

And I'm sure there'll be a rack adapter, which probably means it will be half rack and you could put an external drive next to it and off you go.