Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 11:15 PM

Default 002 ADAT and Presonus Firestudio

I’ve been causally using PT 7.x (currently 7.3) for several years but decided to get more into it. I have turned out numerous projects over the last 6 months using everything from soft synths to multi midi inputs so I don't consider myself a novice (until maybe now). I bought a Presonus Firestudio and am trying to hook it up to the 002.

I can’t figure out for the life of me how to get sound from the Firestudio to the 002 and into protools. I connected the optical cable to the Firestudio "out" to the 002 "in" but nothing happens. I have played and played with the routing software that came with the Firestudio to no avail, connected reconnected cables, tried every combination of ins and outs, deleted the I/O settings and hit default....

Under setup>hardware it only shows the Digi 002. All I get is some pops and clicks. I have the sample rate on the Firestudio and the project set to 44.1

Some posts mention setting the clock to ADAT. There is no setting that says ADAT. Under Setup>Hardware the only thing that shows up is the Digi 002 and under clock source my choices are Internal, S/PDIF (RCA), and Optical. Selecting anything other than internal brings up a box that says. “the external clock choice is invalid. Reverting to internal”

I’m looking for any suggestions as I apparently don’t even know where to start I even hooked up another light pipe from the 002 "out" to the firestudio "in" thinking maybe I was missing something.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:26 AM

Default Re: 002 ADAT and Presonus Firestudio

I'm assuming you've loaded the drivers onto your computer, disconnected your 002 , connected the firestudio via firewire and configured the control consol software to run in stand-alone mode as an a/d convertor (with the appropriate settings made on the mixing matrix, of course) disconnected the presonus from your computer and plugged your 002 back in ?
If so, and it still doesn't work I would contact presonus technical support.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:44 AM

If you haven't done so already try setting your 002R clock to ADAT and the Firestudio to clock internally.
RME, Daking, Heritage, ISA, Sytek

Old 09-05-2007, 01:45 AM

Quote:
I'm assuming you've loaded the drivers onto your computer, disconnected your 002 , connected the firestudio via firewire and configured the control consol software to run in stand-alone mode as an a/d convertor (with the appropriate settings made on the mixing matrix, of course) disconnected the presonus from your computer and plugged your 002 back in ?
If so, and it still doesn't work I would contact presonus technical support.
OK, I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. Rebooted with the 002 disconnected. turned on the firestudio, played with the software with a set of headphones, output jacks in the rear, until I was convinced I understood the routing and how to get - in my case - just one input in the numnber 1 mic/instrument input routed to the ADAT1 output.

Turned off the firestudio, unplugged the firewire cable. Shut down the computer. Rebooted with the 002 firewire cable plugged in and the unit turned on. After the boot was complete, turned on the firestudio with the light pipe cable connected to the 002 and as I suspected, checking the setup>midi>input devices menu, ProTools did not see the firestudio.

Shut down the computer. reattached the firewire cable to the firestudio and rebooted. started protools. checked the setup>midi>input devices menu again, the firestudio was indeed being "seen" by protools as a midi input device.

selected a new audio track, record enabled it, all I get is pops. sample rates are both set at 44.1. tried bit rates of both 16 an 24 with multiple reboots inbetween just to make sure I was starting fresh each time. tried 48 for sample rates on both units with reboots inbetween. still nothing but pops/static.

there is no sync to ADAT selection to be found anywhere in my protools. I suspect it's a clock problem but I can't find the menu or pull down anywhere that has a sync to ADAT selection on it, see original post.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have a similar set up and does it work for you?

PT LE 7.3
Win XP pro SP4
Old 09-05-2007, 02:17 AM

After 8 hours of nashing of teeth and the associated grief of dealing with anything digital...

I got ticked off enough that I crawled behind the home theator setup and robbed the lightpipe cable off the hi-def and plugged it in between the firestudio and 002. Instant success.

Here's the real kicker: The cable I was using with the 002 and firestudio (no worky after 8 hours of banging my head against the wall) works fine in the home theator system. I swapped them three times because I could not believe it would work in the theator but not between the preamps - but it does.

Never seen anything like it. SSDD. I figured as long as I could see light coming through the cable it had to be good.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:12 AM

Glad you got ot working but..
Quote:
Shut down the computer. reattached the firewire cable to the firestudio and rebooted. started protools. checked the setup>midi>input devices menu again, the firestudio was indeed being "seen" by protools as a midi input device.

This is NOT a midi device (at least in this application) It does have midi inputs for use as an interface for other recording software. The firewire connection in this case is simply so your computer can communicate with it for set-up purposes. Set up the first 8 analog inputs (the preamps) to digital out in the mixing matrix so they can be sent via adat to protools. Once that's set-up, the only connection from the firestudio should be optical to the 002.
I had looked at getting one, but after perusing the manual realised most of the features would be unused with protools. As an interface for other recording software, it is extremely powerful and flexible. But the digimax LT or FS has the basic features needed for adding 8 more inputs to the protools world.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:09 PM

Ah... you are correct.

But to use the matrix mixing abilities of the firestudio you have to have the firewire cable connected to be able to talk to it. Just setting it up and leaving it, I wouldn't need the firewire connection.

Here's the real scoop on this project.

One of my other band members and I got to scheming and produced a monitor mix with a seven piece band that has an individual stereo mix (IEMs) for each person, including effects, with a laptop, a firestudio, a firepod, and Sonar 6. There is some latency once Sonar gets involved for the reverb, compression, etc.

In all honesty, it's the most overkill for a simple monitor solution I've ever seen in my life. It took about 4 months and a half dozen gigs before it finally worked as expected, but... I've gotten used to it. It has the added benefit that we can record live - except we've got some driver issues between presonus and sonar that make that part unreliable right now.

Since all things change, he will eventually leave the band and I want to have a similar system in place. I don't plan to use compression, reverb, preset markers for vocal levels, and all the other stuff this guy manages to work in but I really like the separate monitor mixes and the software is easy enough to use that our female singer can adjust it and it makes perfect sense to her.

So, I'm on my way with my setup and I have the add bonus of the presonus drivers seem to work just fine with PT.

thanks for your help.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:48 PM

Hi All,
Just a quick thank you, this thread also solved my problem
I have a Yamaha 03d mixer that I decided to use for eight additional inputs via optical and couldn't get it to talk to my 002r, all I'd get was digital noise. Spent two weeks changing settings, boot order, connecting, reconnecting, almost calling the "Geek Squad" you get the picture.
Tried everything I could think of but it wasn't til I saw this thread today and had an "aha" moment.
I bought a new, shorter (3m vs 5m) optical cable, one with metal ends instead of plastic and 'voila' it worked right out of the package just like I had hoped it would, what a concept.
Thank you so much, I'll be able to sleep tonight
All the best,
David