Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-30-2006, 01:10 PM

Default need quick help

i am wondering how much of a difference there is between 16 bit and 24 bit. who would be able to tell the difference, studio engineers? would the normal listener be able to tell?
Old 01-30-2006, 01:24 PM

Default Re: need quick help

I would say it depends a lot on the dynamic range of the instruments you are recording (how loud and how quiet they can get). If your instruments don't have a lot of dynamics i think the recording will not suffer a lot. If they do have a lot of dynamic range the difference will probably be noticable to the trained year.

16bits digital audio has a theoretical dynamic range of 96dB, 24 bit has 140dB. A full orchestra has a dynamic range of 110dB.

Miguel Negrão
Old 01-30-2006, 01:40 PM

i am recording my band, which is a pop rock band in the style of (in my opinion) death cab for sutie, the shins, elliott smith, the strokes etc. it's going to be a rock album.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:48 PM

You're really not doing yourself a favor by splitting this off from your other topic, Andy.
As I said there, if you were satisfied with your job on this project, and the band's performance, there's no reason to re-record the whole CD.
Track the last 3 in 24 and move on.

If you were tracking a major release classical project, maybe...
Old 01-30-2006, 05:01 PM

Quote:
So should you record at 24 bits? Its going to depend on who you ask. Some people say "It's all going to end up as 16 bit any way" when the cd is burned. Others will tell you that when an audio interface processes and mixes sounds at 24 bit the result is better and remains better even after the final conversion to 16 bit. And just about every other position is taken too when you add sample rates. Some say 16/44.1 is good enough for CD its good enough for me. Others say do 24/44.1 because it's not that much more space and it increases the signal to noise ratio. There is one argument that says 24/88.2 is superior to 24/96 because it is an even number conversion going back to 44.1.

So what's that? You want to hear what _I_ think. Ok, but its one man's opinion, not the gospel according to Tweak! I was a believer for the past decade that 16/44.1 was the way to go and I have recently changed my mind. It's really a matter of what you are recording and what your gear can re-produce. If you have a nice mic, a very good preamp and a clean audio system and are recording highly dynamic instruments such as acoustic guitars, classical orchestras, acapella vocals, the difference will be there. Quiet passages will be less likely struggling to stay above the noise floor on your system. The Bass will be tighter, and the vocals may sound "airier". However, if you are going to be doing a loud radio-ready, levels on the ceiling piece, my opinion is that the benefits will be less audible. But there are other benefits as well. Because I do all my recording on computers with sequencers, 24 bit files seem easier to work with. They have more headroom for tweaking. One can record with less compression. Once inside the sequencer, audio files may be converted to 32 bit for processing and converted back to 24 or 16 on the way out.

quote from info tweakheadz lab online site
Old 01-30-2006, 05:08 PM

I'm going to second that opinion - I've you've already done the project at 16bit I wouldn't worry too much that you need to re-record. I obviously don't know what your skill/experience level is for recording, but 90% of project studio work probably suceeds/fails more on the OTHER factors than the difference between 16 or 24 bit. Mics, placement, musicians technical ability, mixing, etc...

I personally use 24bit for the reason stated above - it lets me record without being overly concerned about getting a hot signal into the 16bit converter... Do you feel you did a good job of getting clean but hot signals for the 16bit? If so, I'd stick with it...

jt