Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-26-2021, 05:38 AM

Default Digi 003 Updating Firmware

i just bougt a 2ndhand digi 003 which comes with Pro tools 8

I am running a Mac Pro 4.1 with OS 10.11.6

The digi will only power on in OFFLINE mode. It works fine with my install of Pro Tools First once that is powered up. My install of ableton can see the Digi and use it as an audio and mappable midi inteface (if I open it before closing Pro Tools), but none of the lights or automations on the digi are live in that instance.

because of My install version I cannot Install Pro Tools 8 nor anything from the install discs.

So i THINK because the Mac is seeing the Digi fine but the Digi is maybe struggling to recognise the Mac OS that I possibly need to upate the Digi firmware?

But doing the firmware update mode doesn't seem to trigger anything in Pro Tools First to commence any update.

So, does anyone have any pointers? Worst comes to worst I could try doing a partioned install of OS 10.5 which I believe will Install Pro Tools 8. But I'd rather avoid that if there's a more obvious solution?

Thanks friends!
Old 11-26-2021, 06:10 AM

Default Re: Digi 003 Updating Firmware

Hi, welcome to the community.

00x family driver information here. General compatibility info here.
Old 11-28-2021, 02:25 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=forc...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Lots of possible help there

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-28-2021, 03:22 PM

Hi Welcome to DUC.

"Pro Tools First". Ah well I suspect that's going to hurt you. IIRC Pro Tools First originally did not support any control surfaces, now Avid claims support for HUI only (https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/comparison).

The 003 does not talk HUI to Pro Tools, it talks a proprietary protocol, so not surprising it does not work with Pro Tools First.

The 003 does not output HUI or MCP control protocols to easily control other DAWs. It does support a MIDI mode where you can manually set up controls. See http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...uide_34454.pdf Messing with that would be about as much fun as getting your teeth pulled.

If you absolutely have to get a control surface for Pro Tools First you need to look for something that supports HUI (like a current Mackie MCU Pro -- but run in HUI mode, or maybe you could get an Avid Artist control working in HUI mode). If you want to stay in the pro Tools ecosystem..... then this is barse ackwards... Pro Tools First is so badly crippled that I would focus on getting off that onto Pro Tools (standard) and the ability to use an Avid control surface. You should look at the difference in control capability, especially with plugins... but you need to be committed to Pro Tools.

If you just want to control Ableton Live or another DAW then sure look at an MCU Pro or other surface, potentially operating in HUI or better MCP modes (Ableton Live supports MCP).

If you are new to DAWs/recording I'd suggest avoiding control surface all together for now.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-28-2021 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:15 PM

You might just set up a pure PT8/digi003 system (might be a dual-boot) like it would be back then. Your MP 4.1, OSX 10.5 (or whatever's compatible), install PT8 from the disks. IIRC the snr inside the manual/CD should be enough for authorization. The 003 is a 'dongle', really. Of course, you will be way off compatibility with anything current software-wise, but it should work quite well. With a dual-boot, I think you could have High Sierra on the other partition. I have a Command|8, same era, similar functionality, and they're very nice to work with. Made to work with Pro Tools.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:46 PM

I guess also the 003 would work well if you could find a cheap deal on a PT10 license. Then it could be OSX10.8.5.
I really don't think it's a question of firmware.