Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2021, 04:17 PM

Default Clicks and Pops on Import Audio in 2021.10

I haven't yet dived too deep into the issue here, but I've noticed a couple times since updating to 2021.10 (on Mojave), when importing an MP3 (I've only noticed it when importing a full music track, but that's the majority of audio imports that I do) I get clicks and pops throughout the file. I've noticed that these files show in the Import Audio window as 32-bit, but if I try to import the same MP3 on another Mojave system running 2020.9, it shows it as 16-bit and does not produce any clicks or pops when it is imported. Again, I haven't yet tried to find the common denominator with the audio files here yet, but I wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing the same. I couldn't find anything in a DUC search.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-24-2021, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Clicks and Pops on Import Audio in 2021.10

Things to think about: Are you absolutely sure the click and pops are actually in the imported MP3? Like can you see them on the waveform?

There is something a little strange/different going on with identification of MP3s in the import dialog, that's been noted by myself and others in other threads. But MP3's don't really have a bit depth so what Pro Tools reports should not matter. And if Pro Tools was actually getting the conversion wrong because it misidentified the type of file you would be hearing a lot worse then pops and clicks.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:06 PM

I just ran into this issue today. Imported multiple .mp3 files. Most were fine but one or two came in with clicks and pops... lots of timing errors. I can't see any difference in those files compared to those that were fine.
Old 11-25-2021, 04:05 PM

are you also seeing a short freeze of the GUI when you select these problematic files during the import process ?
Old 11-25-2021, 04:24 PM

FYI, and I cannot tell you more, there is an investigation going on about import errors currently. Sit tight.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:06 PM

Tweakhead, yes I can see the errors in the waveform. It looks like just a few samples of silence here and there. Manually drawing them out will sometimes work.

JFreak, thanks! Glad to know I’m not alone in this one.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
FYI, and I cannot tell you more, there is an investigation going on about import errors currently. Sit tight.

JFreak do you know a work around. I updated my ultimate system for m1 compatibility and I cannot import anything without clicks and pops.
Some files are even worse they completely change the audio and it’s just Wierd beeping noises.
It’s hard to sit tight. My clients are looking at me crazy when they hear pops every 5 seconds while tracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2021, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaspal View Post
I haven't yet dived too deep into the issue here, but I've noticed a couple times since updating to 2021.10 (on Mojave), when importing an MP3 (I've only noticed it when importing a full music track, but that's the majority of audio imports that I do) I get clicks and pops throughout the file. I've noticed that these files show in the Import Audio window as 32-bit, but if I try to import the same MP3 on another Mojave system running 2020.9, it shows it as 16-bit and does not produce any clicks or pops when it is imported. Again, I haven't yet tried to find the common denominator with the audio files here yet, but I wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing the same. I couldn't find anything in a DUC search.

Thanks in advance!

Ok so I figured out a work around.
Just use a file converter and convert the mp3 to a wave.
The wave imports without clicks and pops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2022, 09:23 PM

I just had this same issue as well - and it's happened on other occasions too. Thanks for the tip to convert the file in another program first.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:39 AM

Yup this is a problem. Went back to 2021.7 and it was working again, but after a few days, 2021.7 tells me to install quicktime (which is already installed) and won’t let me bring in the mp3. Converting to wav with a different app has been my only option.