Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 02-15-2014, 10:30 AM

Default MacBook Pro 13" Retina with Pro Tools 11 and Digi 003

Hi all,

I need to buy a new MacBook Pro and currently looking at one of the 13" Retina models.
My interface is the firewire Digi 003 control surface.

I noticed in the Pro Tools 11 system requirements that "The 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro may have performance problems and is not recommended for Pro Tools with FireWire interfaces."
(http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ion&popup=true)

It seems to refer to the late 2012 MacBook Pro 13 Retina model only.

Does anyone know if the newer 13" Retina MacBooks work ok with FireWire devices or does anyone have any experience of using FireWire interfaces such as the Digi 003 with these MacBooks? If so, have you had any issues?

I'd be grateful for any feedback you could give me.

If you're using another MacBook Pro Retina model with the Digi 003 I'd also like to know how you find working with the Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter and if it gives you any performance issues.

Many Thanks
Old 02-17-2014, 05:52 AM

Default Re: MacBook Pro 13" Retina with Pro Tools 11 and Digi 003

Hey, let me bring in another thought.
As you are looking for a 13", not for a 15" model, and you are still working with a Digi003,
why not consider the last 13" non Retina-MacBook Pro Mid 2012 9.2?
Let me explain why.

1. As you are looking for a 13" model, all the new 13" Retinas come with Dual Core i5 processors, i7 Quads only with the 15" models.
The Mid 2012 non-Retina also has an i5 Dual Core 2,5GHz processor/Boost up to 3.1GHz (optional an i7 Dual Core).
So there is almost no advantage power wise.

2. The Mid 2012 non-Retina still has a FW800 port which is definitely working better and more reliably with a Digi003
than the Thunderbolt to FW-adapter.

3. It further offers you 1 Thunderbolt port and 2 USB3 ports, so you would have maximal flexibility connection wise.
FW for the 003 and classical external drives,
Thunderbolt and USB3 for any future interfaces, monitors or modern drives.

4. Itīs got an build in Apple Superdrive which is indeed very convenient and
€70.- if you buy one separately as the Retinas donīt have it anymore.

5. Itīs really easy to do replacements of drives etc. on your own.
Have heard about it that itīs sort of more complicated with the Retinas.

6. You still can get it as a brand new product directly from Apple itself or any retailer
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro
but on the other hand there are good offers now out there (I bought myself one too as a mobile
unit 1 1/2 months ago because of all the advantages I listet above and the affordable price itīs offered at the moment)

7. And the one that was crucial as for myself besides all the other things: it is definitely one of the
recommended machines by Avid for Pro Tools 11.
And I do know why now-it works flawlessly with 11 here.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...pple-Computers

Finally I have to say that I myself generally prefer the latest stuff/gear, do all updates for Mac OS, Pro Tools, Logic
and which plugin ever as soon as they appear etc. Iīm not at all kinda "old fashioned" in this regard.
I just realized that it made the max sense in combination with all the other gear I still have to go for that 9.2 MBP
as to me personally it was most important to get it just work at the best.

So, this is all of course just a suggestion, only some thoughts based on a definitely positive experience
as far as Iīm concerned.

Anyway, wishing you good luck and all the best,

cheers, VRW

MacMini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MacOS 10.9.1, Apogee Quartet, Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.1.2, Logic 10.0.6, Waves, MCDSP,
Duende Native, Softube, HOFA, IK Multimedia etc
Old 02-17-2014, 05:31 PM

Hi VRW,

Thanks for your reply, you've really given me some food for thought there!

I actually need to replace an old MacBook that died unexpected so I don't really want to spend a great deal of money if I can avoid it.

The guy I spoke to at the Apple Store did suggest one of the non retina 13" models but I overlooked it as I tend to automatically go for the latest models. After looking into the various adapters/extras I would need to run a retina model with my FW drives and 003, it seems overly complicated so a non retina model might be the perfect choice.

It never occurred to me that the non retina 13" still has FW ports along with the newer interfaces and that the processing power is comparable so this has given me a whole new train of thought.

I'm really looking for a mobile unit that will keep me going for near future so this sounds like the ideal choice - thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.

Ryan
Old 02-18-2014, 11:16 PM

A good way to "pour the money out" you would save by not buying a Retina
could be to pimp your book by putting in all useable 16GBs Ram and one sweet SSD .

Then it would be really one nice machine. Rock solid build, very flexible connection wise
and powerful enough for any modern application.
You may know that already but you definitely can save more money by not
getting this stuff from Apple but buy it separately and replace it on your own.
With the MBP Mid 2012 non-Retina it is no risk to do so, itīs really easy.

This would be high quality Ram for a replacement.
You would have to get 2 of these e.g.:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-KVR...11+SO-DIMM+RAM
Wherever you may buy it just mind itīs Item Model Number KVR16S11/8
as this is one which works well with Apple!
I got these myself from a retailer here and itīs working like a charm with the MBP.

This one I got in my desktop machine which is one hell of a drive! Really highly recommended
(I will put this into the MBP as well but I now have to wait and save the money for it
-bought too much gear the last few months already ) !
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Seri...+840+pro+256gb
You pay +100 if ordering a 256 SSD from Apple which wonīt be as fast and of such high quality like the 840 Pro.

So this is only a suggestion again of course but this MacBook is worth spending
the money on it IMO.

The very best to you,

cheers, VRW

MacMini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 i5, 16GB Ram, MacOS 10.9.1, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2, Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10,
Pro Tools 11.1.2, Logic 10.0.6, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, Softube, HOFA, IK Multimedia etc
Old 03-13-2014, 02:01 PM

Hi again VRW,

Been offline for the last couple of weeks so just picked up your last reply. Thanks again for the input and links, good to hear it all works well for you - that's given me even more to think about now!

Have had to put off the purchase for a couple of weeks but will start looking into it again now and will check out the upgrades you mentioned.

Cheers!
Old 03-14-2014, 01:48 PM

You are more than welcome!

If you decide to replace your OS drive with a SSD you might check out this thread
I posted a few days ago as itīs really important for SSD users on OS 10.8. and 10.9.
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=352188

Btw if you buy such one and you could afford more GBs, it not only would provide you more space, average SSDs are even faster the larger they are.
Why? I donīt know actually (itīs something about the amount of channels, memory chips, whatsoever-Iīm no technician actually) but it has been proven in
several tests with standard consumer SSDs.

So, If you would want to go for a SSD, this probably would be the very best recommendation .
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Seri...+840+pro+512gb

All the best, much success,

VRW

MacMini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 i5, 16GB Ram, MacOS 10.9.2, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2, Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10,
Pro Tools 11.1.2, Logic 10.0.6, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, Softube, HOFA, IK Multimedia etc
Old 04-03-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Tooley View Post
Hi all,

I need to buy a new MacBook Pro and currently looking at one of the 13" Retina models.
My interface is the firewire Digi 003 control surface.

I noticed in the Pro Tools 11 system requirements that "The 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro may have performance problems and is not recommended for Pro Tools with FireWire interfaces."
(http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ion&popup=true)

It seems to refer to the late 2012 MacBook Pro 13 Retina model only.

Does anyone know if the newer 13" Retina MacBooks work ok with FireWire devices or does anyone have any experience of using FireWire interfaces such as the Digi 003 with these MacBooks? If so, have you had any issues?

I'd be grateful for any feedback you could give me.

If you're using another MacBook Pro Retina model with the Digi 003 I'd also like to know how you find working with the Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter and if it gives you any performance issues.

Many Thanks
Hi there! I know i got late to the conversation :P

Just wanted to let you know that I am testing Pro Tools 10.3.10 in my MacBook Pro Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014 with the Digi 003 rack+ interface using the next adapters:
Thubderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter + Firewire 800 to 400 adapter. And I can tell you that is WORKING.

I have some clicks and pops with very large sessions (50 plus tracks) in 88 khz and 96 khz - using the 003 or the onboard audio card. But with sessions that are not that large - and/or in lower bitrate - works very well indeed.

Just lo let you know :)