Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2010, 04:56 PM

Angry Pro Tools 9, MIDI is still BROKEN!

Come on. How does MIDI still not work correctly through 1 entire version update into the next? THIS IS NOT OK AVID! Avid has said "it's being worked on" over & over. Enough is enough, get it working! It's DAMN hard to believe that Avid couldn't fix MIDI, but had enough time and resources to push 9 out when one of 8's most basic features has never worked right!

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...highlight=midi

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=285308

Old 11-07-2010, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9, MIDI is still BROKEN!

Might be fixed, testing in progress.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostHuman View Post
Might be fixed, testing in progress.
Any update on this? I can't get MIDI working in 9 either. It's a bit ridiculous that something as major as MIDI doesn't work with a full fledged release. If anyone knows anything, please chime in!
Old 12-30-2010, 09:48 PM

To be clear, I'm having an even more basic issue with MIDI and PT 9.... can't even get my external devices to show in the MIDI track outputs. Thus... No MIDI for me. Worked "fine" in 8.

Not OK.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:51 PM

ansanity: Some additional information might help people help you...like Mac or PC? What have you done to try to fix the problem? What MIDI interface are you using?
Old 12-31-2010, 04:40 PM

Midi has always worked fine for me in PT8 and PT9. Since you didn't actually describe any particular issue it's very difficult to help you. Please, before going off on a RANT at least gracefully describe your issue. Thank you.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:30 PM

MIDI in PT9 is A-OK for me!

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 02-18-2011, 01:13 PM

I'll chime in here.

I recently upgraded to PT 9. I'm using a MBP 17 with an 002. OS X 10.6.6. I didn't notice any issues immediately because I use other software to compose (Abelton, Logic). Midi in those apps function as they should, however midi in PT does not work. All of my devices appear but I can't get any input from my USB controller. In that regard I definitely feel PostHumans' frustration. Midi works perfectly fine in other apps, even with external gear, but not with the hardware and software combination from the manufacturer.

I too had this issue before in a previous version.

There may be just a few of us experiencing this problem, but I feel that the fact that this issue even exist justifies a labeling of unacceptable. MIDI is a basic function of any DAW and well... it should just ****ing work.

To reiterate: In my setup, MIDI works perfectly fine in other manufactures software like Logic and abelton, but is non-functioning in the hardware/software combination from digidesign (oops AVID).

End of rant.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:27 PM

Fwiw, midi works great here - Win7, PT9 (was fine in PT8 on XP as well). MOTU USB midi interface, and hardware audio interface midi ports working well; VEPro and MidiOverLan also working great.

Not sure what to tell you other than try to isolate it a bit more - try different midi interfaces, etc. Try a standard midi interface and connect your controller to that.

Using a USB controller as your midi interface could be part of the issue - some USB controllers have sketchy drivers. Never got my Akai MPK49 to work well under USB with any app, so it's hardwired to a midi interface now and working perfectly.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:37 PM

I use a Axiom Pro connected to PT 9 HD via USB with no problems. I also use an old Peavey controller via my Midi Sport with no problems. Not sure what you guys are talking about. Midi works fine for me