Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-16-2010, 09:57 PM

Default Fast Track Ultra or Keep Mbox 2 USB?

Should I keep my box 2 or trade it in for the Fast Track Ultra? I heard some complaints about the Fast Track, so I'm kind of skeptical. By the way, here's what I have going on in my setup:

-XP SP3 with a i7 PC
- 3 Keyboards (3 Stereo Outs)
- I will be using some CPU eating Vsts as well such as Massive from NI and some EastWest Plugins, so I need a interface that can run at a low latency.

So far the mbox 2 is good (Not going to say the audio quality is the best, but then again, I have to use my ears in order to get a good mix). The only limitation is I record 1 track at a time stereo, and I was thinking the fast track would speed up the process.

But then again, the mbox 2 actually WORKS (no computer issues). And I was hearing the fast track had irq issues, and ... and... so Idk. I sure wouldn't want to buy it, and have static pops and clicks, and etc. So I wanted you DUC'ers before I trade in my mbox 2, and invest in Fast Track Ultra.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:15 AM

Default Re: Fast Track Ultra or Keep Mbox 2 USB?

First off, the FT Ultra(or ANY M-Audio hardware) will require you to buy M-Powered Pro Tools(your LE will not work). If it were me, I would shop for a used 002R as it solves your input problem, AND keeps your LE software usable(of course it may require a firewire card). Another option for 3 keyboards(since you likely record one at a time anyway); feed them all to a little mixer and send a master L&R to the Mbox line inputs.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-17-2010, 11:57 AM

Yea, I thought about getting the 002, but my budget is around 300-500 for an interface, and I just found a place I can get 7.4 M-powered for $125. I just was wondering if the audio quality and latency is better than the mbox 2 usb? I wanted to know if its a good piece to get because I dont want buy and have pops and clicks, and other issues.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:15 PM

$500 will get you a used 002R(you can have mine in perfect shape as I never use it). As for the M-Powered deal, I guess $125 for 7.4 is okay if its new/unregistered. I would expect latency and quality to be much the same

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave