Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-02-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Latest iTunes and Digi interface incompatibility?

I just read this post on boingboing.net:

The latest versions of iTunes prevents you from using Pro Tools or other peripheral-based audio apps.I downloaded the new version out of habit from the Update, then went to open iTunes and it just bounced in the dock without opening. I went to the India-based email help on the Apple webpage, and the first thing they asked was "do you have any peripherals hooked up?" I wasn't sure exactly what they were talking about, but finally unhooked the MBox (the external hardware for Pro Tools, the audio production standard software), and bingo! iTunes opened no problem.

Apple is clearly taking steps to try to prevent piracy using audio production software with iTunes. It's a pain in the butt for an audio professional such as myself that relies on these tools. I've since found a runaround- if you set your computer to open iTunes automatically when a CD is inserted it will open when you insert a CD even if Pro Tools is open. But Apple is taking Draconian measures here, sabotaging other completely legal programs to protect their copyright!

Does anyone know if this problem is real and if so, if there is a workaround, other than disconnecting your digi 002 or m-Box?
Old 07-02-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Latest iTunes and Digi interface incompatibility?

No problem here.

OS X 10.4.1, PTLE 6.9.2, iTunes v4.9.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:12 PM

I'm having the same problem with my powerbook g4 and my mbox with itunes.

Wiz
Old 07-02-2005, 04:26 PM

No problems here either. G5 dual 2.5, 10.4.1, Mbox, iTunes 6.9. iTunes works fine with the Mbox attached.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Latest iTunes and Digi interface incompatibili

neither here and i´m still 6.4
on OSX.3.9 ,
downloaded itunes 4.9
no problem.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:05 AM

The bouncing dock icon....

I usually am able to fix that by doing the following:

1) Repair permissions. You do this by going to your "Disk Utility" and just clicking the repair permissions button.

2) Update prebinding. You do this by typing the following code into the "Terminal":

sudo update_prebinding -verbose -force -root /

... and press the "enter" key. You'll probably have to type your computer password then. After it's done "doing its thing," you'll need to restart your computer. Honestly, I think that'll fix your problems.

Ted.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:29 PM

There IS definately a problem if you own a Digi001 or other legacy Digi gear with OSX 10.3.9, iTunes 4.8, Digi CoreAudio and QuickTime 7. It happened to me and I had remove QT 7 (Apple has a re-install QT 6.5.2 app that does the job nicely) and ended up having to reinstall a fresh OSX 10.3.8 system/users etc. Major headaches and time waster. Updating to Digi Core Audio 6.9 can help things if you're on Digi002 etc.

See posts on Apple forums:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/4

and especially the guru on this is Eriel Barcenas

I dealt with this matter in great length myself. I posted my findings as to a solution here Kurt Weber, "Pro Tools/ ITunes/ Quicktime 7 Bug (The Quit Prit Freeze)" #5, 08:09am May 18, 2005 CDT

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/4
PT LE 6.4cs9/DCAM 6.9x
Old 07-05-2005, 05:11 AM

Quote:
There IS definately a problem if you own a Digi001 or other legacy Digi gear with OSX 10.3.9, iTunes 4.8, Digi CoreAudio and QuickTime 7. ...
Strange. I have that exact setup, but don't seem to be having any problems.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Avid

iTunes should work fine with any current Digidesign hardware and the Digidesign Core Audio driver.

There are known issues using Core Audio if you have Quicktime 7 installed. If you're running Panther, you should revert back to QT 6.5.2. If you're in Tiger, movie playback and such in QT will typically be jittery or sluggish.

If you are having any other problems with Core Audio, make sure to launch the Core Audio Manager application BEFORE you launch iTunes or any other application that will use Core Audio. Some applications will not 'grab' the Core Audio driver properly if Core Audio Manager is not launched first.

There is no intentional 'disabling' of other hardware by Apple - what you are seeing are secondary issues and someone is posting assumptions that have not been validated.