Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2010, 05:43 PM

Default Re: I'm impressed with Steven Slate drums!

I just bought the Essential Rock Pop Vol. 2 and Rock Classics for Fifty Beans. Why not? The list includes kits modeled after Motley Crue, Green Day, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Led Zep, AC/DC, and Nirvana.

Even if it's only half as good as I hope, it's worth a $50 gamble. I LOVE Chad Smith's kit sound. His snare (and whole kit mix) on Dani California is awesome!

As for you guys above... I can't tell who's diggin' on whom. Are you two implying Taylor Swift did or did not use programmed drums?

Either way... Programmed drums are everywhere today: commercials (radio & TV), television show audio, movie soundtrack and post, video games, sports coverage, voice-over beds, Rap & Hip hop, DVD menus, elevators the world over...

Whether you're recording Central High's Glee Club or making commercials for Dicky Spotz' Logansport Used Cars, Howard Stern's voice-over adds, or the latest Halo game, you're probably using some sort of canned drums.

There is a market and an appropriate time to use tools such as these.

Sure, Tony Maserati probably never needs something like this. But Dicky Spotz from Logansport appreciates the effort and has coin to back it up. And the music in video games friggin' rocks these days.
Mbox2/MboxMicro
ProTools 8.0
Old 03-09-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herkimer View Post
I LOVE Chad Smith's kit sound. His snare (and whole kit mix) on Dani California is awesome!
Why wouldn't you use his actual studio kit, played by Chad, recorded by Jim Scott - who recorded Californication, recorded at Sound City where RHCP recorded the album?

https://www.platinumsamples.com/JimScott.html

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 03-09-2010, 06:48 PM

That would be because I didnt know about that product.

Sweet. Cool picture of Chad wearing a Michigan Tshirt too. Thanks for the heads up.
Mbox2/MboxMicro
ProTools 8.0
Old 03-09-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
With my utmost respect to you, if nikki-k thinks that the Slate Drums don't cut it for her and suck, then there's not much one can say or do to change that. She's been quite instrumental and one of the pioneers in helping Pro Tools arrive to where it stands today. An extreme amount of work has been done by many of the die hards here behind the scenes for the past 10 years. More than people will ever know. There are individuals on this forum who've been a big part of making PT what it is today. Those who use Pro Tools and achieve awards have probably used PT features, functions and work flows directly influenced by some of these behind the scene pioneers, including the "grammy award winning" users.

Shane
And that's all fine. But to suggest those who like/use SSD 'can't find a good drummer' or 'don't know how to mix' or are stuck in '1995' or could 'spend the $20 on something useful' is a bit presumptuous. Don't you think? No disrespect to anyone, but I've done my share of noteworthy things in the music world. And a few gold and platinum records and a Grammy nomination later, I think SSD is pretty good...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 03-09-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:

As for you guys above... I can't tell who's diggin' on whom. Are you two implying Taylor Swift did or did not use programmed drums?
Whether or not the drums are programmed, there was at least some sound replacement. I know Dave Way and he uses SSD for replacement. And while I don't know Chris(Lord-Alge), he definitely uses SSD for sound replacement. I think Steven Slate may have done some stuff for him directly before he started the SSD Brand officially.

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 03-09-2010, 07:14 PM

Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
Haha. That's funny. Also tell it to Dave Way, Chris Lord-Alge and a host of other mix engineers. You wanna tell me THEY don't know what their doing?

And HOW MANY Grammys did Taylor Swift's CD win? Including Album of the year and best country album...

Again, whatever that means...
(sigh)
I have a very tainted and jaded opinion of many things today. ANY award is meaningless to me. I could eat some corn and make a trophy for you that is "modeled" after an actual gold one if you like. Awards are only there as a means to an economic end.

That said.. What someone chooses to use on an album is just that: their choice. If CLA is actually using those particular samples, more power to him. Taylor Swift and others like that are "cookie cutter" tripe churned out for mass consumption IMO. As such, the "ingredients" do not need to be top shelf, such as a REAL drummer who can actually play. If I recorded an album, and some dimwit decided to edit up perfectly good takes with that crap? FIRED. And I would say that to ANY engineer's face. I never type anything online that I would not back up in person, to a person's face.

I had a long post written, and deleted most of it. I am not here to change anyone's opinion of anything, just provide my view of things. I do not care for "mass consumption music," so I have no real idea of how one would use this product without it sounding stale. Actually, strike that.. I could see it, but it would take more work than hiring a good drummer to just play it correctly in the first place. For young, broke composing musicians just getting a rig up, great deal. Invest the $20, and then find a good drummer. And if recording is still an issue, grab triggers, and then have that good drummer trigger something like SUperior 2. Do some snare work, and some hihat work. Compare. To me it is obvious, to others it is not. If one is the latter, then good on ya, cause I wish I could be so blind. Heck- I have a lot of wishes....
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
And that's all fine. But to suggest those who like/use SSD 'can't find a good drummer' or 'don't know how to mix' or are stuck in '1995' or could 'spend the $20 on something useful' is a bit presumptuous. Don't you think?
No. I see it as nothing but nikki-k's consideration and not yours or mine. Nothing more. Some of the SSD stuff is on my "to buy" list myself but I'll wait to see what type of offer they'll give us when Trigger is released. Definitely a tool I could use if it does what it claims. I painfully still do all my layers manually as I have yet to achieve better results with any plug-in thus far. I'd love to see something speed up my work flow in this area that would actually work well. Hopefully we'll see a NAB release.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-09-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
That would be because I didnt know about that product.
Nor did I. The wallet looks like it will be empty with some of this stuff. Oh well, it's about time I support Rail. The guy's been a mentor for many of us for almost a decade.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-09-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
No. I see it as nothing but nikki-k's consideration and not yours or mine. Nothing more.
Well, no disrespect to you or her, but I disagree. The tittle of the thread is "I'm impressed with Steven Slate drums!" not 'Who thinks Steven Slate Drums is Whack"...

Old 03-09-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Well, no disrespect to you or her, but I disagree.
Okay.

Quote:
The tittle of the thread is "I'm impressed with Steven Slate drums!" not 'Who thinks Steven Slate Drums is Whack"...
I've read all sorts of replies in this thread already, from praise, to no praise, and many gradients in between, even off topic. Nothing wrong with peoples feedback on them in my opinion, good or bad.

Shane