Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2020, 01:29 AM

Default AVIDPlay Distribution?

Hi,

No idea what forum to post this in, so the moderators can move it if needed.

Is anyone using the AvidPlay distribution service? I just found out about it. I've used a couple of different services now as I am starting to release stuff I've had finished for a while. Trying to find a distributor / aggregator that isn't wacky in one way or another has been time consuming and frustrating, tbh.

Is the AvidPlay thing brand new? Am I just not paying attention? Or what?

Anyhow, I would like to hear others' experiences with it, if any out there. Comparisons to other services would be interesting and helpful. I've been checking out Amuse, Horus, United Masters, Songtradr, and I think a couple others that don't come to mind right now. Avid seems to have a big list of outlets, including Beatport which is sometimes missing from the others' lists.

Thanks!

Best,

mightyduck
Old 05-08-2020, 05:23 AM

Default Re: AVIDPlay Distribution?

I’m a bit skeptical that they’ll be in it for the long haul. I recently switched to DistroKid for independent releases and have no complaints.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
I’m a bit skeptical that they’ll be in it for the long haul. I recently switched to DistroKid for independent releases and have no complaints.
Distrokid [I hear] is fast and easy. But not a lot of stores, and loads of uncharges and other stuff. Plus you have to pay every year to keep your stuff in stores, right?

What is it that you like?

I still want to hear about the AvidPlay thing. Are they using one of the bigger distro companies, or is it entirely their own thing?

Best,

mightyduck
Old 05-09-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
Distrokid [I hear] is fast and easy. But not a lot of stores, and loads of uncharges and other stuff. Plus you have to pay every year to keep your stuff in stores, right?
DistroKid is $20/year for 1 band/artist, but unlimited records, as I understand it. More for multiple artists. And some of the extras are billed per record. So yes, it did actually add up quite quickly and didn't represent that much of a saving compared to TuneCore which I used previously. But the UI is much better.

DistroKid does service a lot of stores.

Quote:
I still want to hear about the AvidPlay thing. Are they using one of the bigger distro companies, or is it entirely their own thing?
Not sure. I guess, I'm also curious...
Old 05-09-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
DistroKid is $20/year for 1 band/artist, but unlimited records, as I understand it. More for multiple artists. And some of the extras are billed per record. So yes, it did actually add up quite quickly and didn't represent that much of a saving compared to TuneCore which I used previously. But the UI is much better.

DistroKid does service a lot of stores.

Not sure. I guess, I'm also curious...
How was Tunecore? I have trouble with all of them either 1. making it so you have to pay them repeatedly in order to keep the stuff in stores, or, 2. not including all the stores [like Beatport], or 3. taking a cut of YouTube monetization, or 4. charging a bunch of money per release as a one-time fee, or 5. whatever other come-on scheme they have in place.

To be honest, I think the whole thing is a money grab and almost nobody makes any money. But it is possible to do well with it, you just have to work the game right, I guess.

So the AVIDPlay thing, at least at first look, seems like they might actually have a real, working, mechanism in place.

I've been going back and forth with Songtradr, just trying to get their upload software to work, and it is a f*cking nightmare, which is too bad because they actually have all the stores in place [but they do take a percentage of YouTube money, which I feel is unfair]. I general, most of these aggregators are trying to get paid as if they were actual publishers, when all they really are doing is driving a truck, so to speak. They don't do much to promote your music. And how could they with the bazillions of users they sign up? Some do have promo depts., and it seems to me that the extra fees make some sense there.

The other thing is that the royalty rates from the stores generally suck, and some of the biggies like Pandora and Spotify are the worst offenders. I hear they are still trying to block or undo the Music Modernization Act.

I'm probably ranting but I am getting frustrated with how sloppy all the services are when all this could be a really good thing for us.

mightyduck

Last edited by mightyduck; 05-09-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
How was Tunecore?
TuneCore was fine, but yes, not really worth it if you don't get a lot of streams. If you do, it pays for itself quickly.

Quote:
So the AVIDPlay thing, at least at first look, seems like they might actually have a real, working, mechanism in place.
Well, they're entering a crowded market so I suppose they have to differentiate themselves. It just seems a bit outside their core business activity which makes me wonder how long they will support it.

Quote:
They don't do much to promote your music. And how could they with the bazillions of users they sign up? Some do have promo depts., and it seems to me that the extra fees make some sense there.
Yeah, I wouldn't expect much help promoting music from an aggregator.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:37 AM

Quote:
TuneCore was fine, but yes, not really worth it if you don't get a lot of streams. If you do, it pays for itself quickly.
I'm just getting started with all that stuff, and I figure I'll get some good stuff up there, and then work on getting it promoted. Meanwhile, I'm kind of more interested in getting the stuff published so I can look for licensing deals easier [I hope]. I found some services that say that can get tracks placed on playlists and guarantee streams and so forth. Maybe a way to work it. I have good quality tracks to offer, but I'm not in a position to jump in a van, take a band on a club tour and spend all day long on Social Media, so I think I would need someone to handle promotion. : )

Quote:
Well, they're entering a crowded market so I suppose they have to differentiate themselves. It just seems a bit outside their core business activity which makes me wonder how long they will support it.
I was kind of hoping that, because they are so dug into the business, that they would have the means to do it first rate and keep it going. I know what you mean about the "crowded market" thing. All of a sudden there are a zillion of them and I really suspect that a lot of them are using the same office. : )

Quote:
Yeah, I wouldn't expect much help promoting music from an aggregator.
But there are some that have a promo dept. [for extra dough, of course]. Have you used any of those services? Sounds like you may have been at it with the distribution thing for a while. Getting anything back from it? Do you think it's useful? I don't mean to pry. I've only released a couple of tracks just trying to figure out what service to use, but I have a lot of material that's "releasable" [if that's a word].

Best,

mightyduck
Old 05-11-2020, 03:04 AM

Quote:
But there are some that have a promo dept. [for extra dough, of course]. Have you used any of those services? Sounds like you may have been at it with the distribution thing for a while. Getting anything back from it? Do you think it's useful? I don't mean to pry. I've only released a couple of tracks just trying to figure out what service to use, but I have a lot of material that's "releasable" [if that's a word].
The short answer is, unfortunately, the low hanging fruit is gone in terms of pitching to playlists and it's difficult (in my experience) without a label. I have a project with a major, and one without, and building an audience for the latter one is challenging.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
The short answer is, unfortunately, the low hanging fruit is gone in terms of pitching to playlists and it's difficult (in my experience) without a label. I have a project with a major, and one without, and building an audience for the latter one is challenging.
Thanks for the info. I did find one company that guarantees a certain amount of legit streams for a certain fee. Others seem to be less of a sure thing [like just getting stuff on "playlists", with no real guarantee as to streams or anything]. I also read about some really crappy stuff, like buying fake "likes" and that type of thing.

I'm learning as I go. Appreciating any advice or pointers you can provide, especially on who's good for licensing opportunities. Songtradr isn't really impressing me so far.

Best,

mightyduck
Old 05-17-2020, 04:15 PM

Oh, looks like the AvidPlay thing is a no-go.

They want a fairly hefty annual fee PER RELEASE just to keep the stuff in stores.

Almost all the other services will allow you to pay one annual fee for unlimited releases, or one fee per release that keeps that release in stores indefinitely.

Avid is trying to get a sizable fee, per release, that only keeps it in stores for one year. Then you have to pay again. Every year.

Nah. Unless someone can explain here what is so special about Avidplay that would warrant the extreme fees, it seems like a rip-off.

mighty duck