Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 03-10-2015, 07:20 AM

Default Sub Bass Kick Drum Question - Structure Plug-in

Hi Guys

I'm using Pro Tool M-Powered 9, with the Structure instrument plug-in.

I wanted to use a sub kick drum sound in a track.

I found one in Structure, in a Trip Hop drum folder.

In my AKG headphones, the sound was very close to what I wanted, you hear a nice attack click of the kick, then the low bass sound trail.

When I played it in my car, the sub bass sound was gone. I basically just hear the kick attack click with just the tiniest trace of sub bass sound. I do not have a sub-woofer in the car, but my normal car stereo is capable of reproducing the sound I'm after, like when I play some of Lorde's tracks, so I'm thinking this is probably a frequency issue with the kick I chose and how low / far down on the keyboard I played it.

I plan on experimenting tonight, recording some slightly higher pitched sub bass kicks. I thought I'd check in here as well, to see if anyone has some suggestions. I did try searching the forum, but much of what I found was about how to create a sub bass kick from scratch, and I already have access to some nice sounding kicks through Structure.

Thanks for any thoughts! Chris
Old 03-10-2015, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Sub Bass Kick Drum Question - Structure Plug-in

That's a tough one without examples, but...
1 - Is your track Mastered?
Comparing a rough mix to commercially released finished products is a bit of an "apples and oranges" situation.
2 - Are there other really low frequencies in the track?
The low end "weight" of a track can be cumulative, but then you can lose separation between tracks. It might help to look at the interaction between bass tones and the sub kick.
I hope that helps
Old 03-11-2015, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Sub Bass Kick Drum Question - Structure Plug-in

Thank you for the nice reply Greg. I'll try those suggestions.