Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2008, 04:16 PM

Default If Pro Tools is the audio STANDARD, then why can't I...

...Import all audio file types into PT. Man, can DIGI seriously not allow us to open an Apple Lossless file. Wow! Don't tell me I have to use Peak 6 or something and convert it. Am I missing something? I understand that they can't crack the DRM locked stuff but EVERY OTHER AUDIO FORMAT SHOULD BE A DIRECT IMPORT INTO PRO TOOLS. Can I get an Amen anyone? -Christian
Old 12-08-2008, 05:31 PM

Default Re: If Pro Tools is the audio STANDARD, then why can't I...

Funny, I've never needed any format that PT didn't import. To each his own I guess.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:36 PM

You mean the software you created the files in can't export anything but aac format? There are probably 100s of audio file formats out there and no one can be bothered to deal with all of them. If you're working in lossless, then why not just use a standard format?
http://teaboyaudio.com
Old 12-08-2008, 05:58 PM

It's not that. I want an iTunes Library that is 100 Gig instead of 200 gig on my Hard Drive. That can be found by using Lossless or FLAC or whatever. Of course I can export Wave/AIF/MP3 from iTunes. What I'm using it for is "referencing" CD quality and commercial music I've IMPORTED into iTunes and the library. So from PT, I'll hit the Import commmand, navigate to the iTunes Library, Artist, Album, Song and by able to audition/import right there. It's clean and simple. Maybe I'm alone on this one and have some strange illness in being so tied to iTunes. I still think the audio standard of ProTools needs to be able to read more audio file formats than a 2 track editor program. My 2 Cents.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:35 PM

I find that AAC at 256 is extremely good sounding, and certainly good enough for referencing. I drag iTunes files into PT all the time this way. Have you compared AAC at 256 to Apple Lossless? I bet most people won't be able to tell them apart.