Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2011, 12:49 PM

Smile Usb Mbox or Firewire Mbox???

Hello, guys.

Please forgive my writing, english is not my native language.

I am about to go to Guitar Center to buy a DAW. I am thinking about Minimbox 3, Mbox 3 and MBOX Pro 3.

My real concern is what is the truth about USB versus Firewire?

Now, I have a DIGI003 Rack, but I barely use so many channels. I just need two Inputs. I was thinking about the Mini Mbox, but this is USB 1.1 and with no Low Latency monitoring. So, the real question is:

Is it worthy and noticable the difference in performance, latency, channels numbers in Protools, RTAS plugins performance, etc of the Firewire against the USB? If I buy an USB MBOX, I would not be able to record without latency? Wouldn't I be able to load large sessions with several RTAS Plugins and Virtual Instruments in Protools??

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards
Old 02-10-2011, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Usb Mbox or Firewire Mbox???

That doesn't have nearly as much to do with the interface as it does the sheer power of your host computer.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:06 PM

Why not stick with you 003 and spend your money upgrading your computer?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 02-11-2011, 07:40 AM

Hi, guys, thank you very much for your answer. So what would be the real difference between an USB MBOX an a Firewire MBOX? Quality? Latency?

I'd like to keep DIGi003, but I think I need to sell it and have something with less inputs and outputs.

Also, I am thinking to get a better computer.

Thanks again and regards

Giancarlo