Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-08-2022, 12:36 PM

Default Pro Tools 2022.4 beach freeze occurs constantly

I've been trying to resolve this issue for over a week. Avid support has not helped me resolve this issue.
(2021 macbook pro m1 pro, 16gb ram, Monterey)
Beach ball freeze up where I must force quit. Only takes a minute into opening a session. Usually it has to do with moving the cursor to a different spot on the timeline in the edit window. Hasn't happened yet in the midi edit window. Happens with PT demo session also, but it takes much longer to happen, so this led me to believe this is 3rd party plugin related, but will still freeze. doesn't matter how big or small the session is.
I have:
trashed prefs, reinstalled PT and 3rd party plugins, moved all plugins to unused folder, still crashes with only avid plugins, unplugged all devices and run on macbook alone. Done all avid recommended system optimizations, tried every session setting, reverted back to PT 2021.7, but still crashed. No error messages from PT. Ran mac system diagnostics, I saved a couple samples from mac activity monitor but I don't know what any of that means. I'm not a tech guy. I'm losing my mind. Please help
Thanks,
Laddie
Old 05-16-2022, 05:17 PM
Development Partner

Default Re: Pro Tools 2022.4 beach freeze occurs constantly

I'm experiencing the beach ball of death almost constantly when dealing with MIDI tracks. I'm on 2022.4 as well, running on an M1 Max. The problem is very clearly MIDI-related. I've been playing with an old piece--couple hundred tracks. It's a mix of recorded audio tracks and VIs. If I play it back as is--playing the VIs but not editing the MIDI--it plays fine. I can locate back and forth, play the whole thing through the Atmos renderer, and there are no issues.

But as soon as I try to modify any of the MIDI tracks in the simplest way (drag a few notes, transpose something, draw a ramp of controller info) I can get just a few operations done. Then it's the beach ball of death. I can give it a very long wait, but it's clearly hung. The only thing to do is a force quit. I've found that even some simple things like going to the main edit window and selecting a MIDI clip will do it. I even have this problem using the cropping tool (in main edit) to trim a MIDI clip. This operation should not involve any plugins or VIs: it's purely a presentation issue inside PT. I should point out that I've frozen every single track but the one I'm working on. I will be in touch with VI vendors, but I've run into these problems with PT at various times in the past: it feels like something is lurking in the code that no one can quite spot.

PT MIDI support has always had its ups and downs, but this is quite a down.
Old 05-16-2022, 05:25 PM

I'm experiencing this as well. I had at least 9 crashes this morning in the first hour of a session and it became so frustrating I ended up re-booting into my previous system drive with Mac OS 11.6 and PT 2021.12. I would say 7 or 8 of those crashes involved me clicking on something related to a midi or instrument track.

HDX Pro Tools 2023.6
Lynx Aurora (n) 32
2 Avid S1's
Old 05-16-2022, 07:27 PM

I think the last really major overhaul of the MIDI workflow was when they made it usable in PT 8. (2008?) Maybe some tweaks when they intro'd Instrument Tracks (which are really just a MIDI Track and an Aux Track, merged). I think it's way past due for a revision to the way PT handles MIDI. Maybe they're working on that as they get further down the Apple Silicon road? I don't know, but I do hope so. I can't work in Pro Tools without fully-functioning MIDI.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 05-17-2022, 02:53 AM

If you have Time Machine running in the background, try schedule backups outside of work hours with TimeMachineEditor. It may not work, but it chilled out background processes for me enough to eliminate beach balls while using PT for me.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:09 AM

For those of you way smarter than I am, here's the latest crash report:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yazptjtony...17-22.rtf?dl=0

HDX Pro Tools 2023.6
Lynx Aurora (n) 32
2 Avid S1's
Old 05-17-2022, 10:14 AM

I notice this when I have platter drives mounted. If I unmount them, the issue improves. It's still worse than PT 2021.12. Let's hope for an update soon.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:23 AM
Development Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentWilliams View Post
If you have Time Machine running in the background, try schedule backups outside of work hours with TimeMachineEditor. It may not work, but it chilled out background processes for me enough to eliminate beach balls while using PT for me.
I don't think Time Machine is the cause. But it may exacerbate the issue by burning some CPU cycles and grabbing the file system. It's pretty easy to see (using the Time Machine link in the menu bar) if there's actually a backup going on at any given time. I've not noticed any correlation thus far, but I'll keep my eyes on it.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:14 AM

Beach ball crash almost resolved: with the help of Avid support analyzing my pro tools logs and mac activity monitor samples, they found issues with Spitfire plugins. I reinstalled them and made the Spitfire app/audio manager run using rosetta. I also changed anything Kontact related to run using rosetta - wherever possible. This made crashes much less frequent. If I jump around too quickly to different locations on the timeline in the edit window, it will still freeze. But at least I can get some work done, as long as I’m careful. I don’t consider this fixed, and this is pretty lame, but thanks for the input from everyone. Btw, I don’t get crashes in the midi window, unlike some other people have noted.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:29 AM
Development Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laddie View Post
Beach ball crash almost resolved: with the help of Avid support analyzing my pro tools logs and mac activity monitor samples, they found issues with Spitfire plugins. I reinstalled them and made the Spitfire app/audio manager run using rosetta. I also changed anything Kontact related to run using rosetta - wherever possible. This made crashes much less frequent. If I jump around too quickly to different locations on the timeline in the edit window, it will still freeze. But at least I can get some work done, as long as I’m careful. I don’t consider this fixed, and this is pretty lame, but thanks for the input from everyone. Btw, I don’t get crashes in the midi window, unlike some other people have noted.
That's very helpful. Were the Spitfire libraries running under Kontakt or with their newer non-Kontakt format. Or both?