Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2002, 01:29 PM

Default Still got a ghost

I've put a post up on this before, but my problem isn't going away.

Here it is:

I got a G4/867mHz and a 15" Apple studio display back in January. Not long after I got it, the computer would start booting up by itself when it was completely off. This would happen at odd times, very intermittant. All of the energy saver settings are set to NEVER or OFF. Nothing of that type is set to power it up or down at any time. Sometimes it would go for days without a problem. Then, all of a sudden at 3AM or 6:30PM or whenever it would boot up. Lately, it has also been going to sleep by itself when it's been ON!

After asking Apple and a lot of other people, it was determined that it was probably the monitor. The little touch-button on the frame might be faulty and causing it to boot up or go to sleep like when you touch it. I called an authorized Apple repair place here in NYC, and they said I could bring the screen in and they would hook it up to one of their G4's for a few days to see what happens. I did that and, of course, nothing happened for them while they had it! Meanwhile, I had an old Gateway monitor hooked up to mine while they had my screen. I had no problems while the Gateway monitor was hooked up to my computer.

So, I went and picked my flat-screen up from the place. I got home and hooked it back up. Would you believe that it both went to sleep and booted up that same day??????

The place that I took it to says now that it is probably some USB device that is causing the problem. But, why would I not have a problem when I don't have the Apple monitor hooked up and then the problems start right back when I get it home???? I had all the same USB devices hooked up to it for the few days that the Gateway monitor was in use. This makes no sense!!!

If this has happened to anyone else and you have any suggestions, please let me know. The machine works great and I love the monitor. I just wish the damn thing would stay OFF when I want it OFF and stay ON when I want it ON!!!!!

Sorry this is so long. I'm at my wit's end.

Thanks.

T. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2002, 06:49 AM

Default Re: Still got a ghost

It sure sounds like it is your screen causing the problem . Maybe you were just unlucky that it didn't do it when it was at that repair place. Perhaps it did boot up and down during the night when no one was around to see it happen?

I had a similar problem with one of my Lacie 19" monitors. All of a sudden it just went black for a couple of seconds and then the picture came back again. We came to the conclusion that there probably was something wrong with the powersupply unit. I shipped it to a service place and they had it on for almost a week and didn't notice anything wrong with it. They said that they'd checked the power and it was working as it was supposed to do. When it came back the same thing happened again. I resended the screen and they did some kind of repair and when it came back this time it's been working without any hicups!

-Robert
Old 04-22-2002, 08:34 AM

Yes, well the thing is, the only solution they are offering me is to send it to Apple, which will take at least 2 weeks. I use this in my studio and I have sessions scheduled. I have that temporary monitor, but it really sucks and I can't even get the whole PT edit screen on it no matter how much I resize the window. They won't just replace or repair it there.

Here's an interesting note: Since they said it could be a USB device, I started unplugging things last night. I unplugged my Midiman 4x4 interface and it didn't turn on by itself all night. This means little so far, though, because in the past it has sometimes gone days without doing it. Still, it's interesting that it was having such a problem and when I unplugged the Midiman it behaved.

if anybody esle has any solutions I'm all ears. Could it be a problem with the combination of the Apple screen and the Midiman in the same system? The Midiman is plugged into a USB port on the computer, not the back of the screen and I have the most recent drivers from Midiman.

Thanks.

T.
Old 04-22-2002, 10:44 AM

I have a midiman usb 2x2 on my iMac 500 with cdrw and i have never noticed it boot in the middle of the night for no reason. i tend to reformat and reinstall everythin every couple of months though. I didnt see that you reinstalled and everything yet so i would sur try that. Nothing like reformatting every once in a while as only you will know what installed then. i tend to do a format when i get nw machines anyways. i hate reimages and restores. nothing like an installer sensing what cha got and what cha dont need.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:58 AM

So much for the idea of a USB device causing my problem. I've now disconnected or re-connected every USB device I have and it still has the same problem. I am thoroughly convinced it is the monitor. Does anybody else have an Apple studio display that has caused any similar problems?

Thanks.

T.