Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 06-08-2009, 11:26 AM

Default Basic, basic recording question

I've consulted my ProTools M-Powered (v. 7.3.1) help guide, consulted my Korg Triton LE manual, still haven't found the complete answer to this basic question:

When I'm recording a MIDI track, regardless of what instrument bank I'm using on the Triton, ProTools switches me to the GM (General MIDI) bank whenever I export the track. For example, say I'm recording a MIDI track using the Jazz Guitar (Bank A, #124). Clicking on Export gives me a MIDI file with the same track in "Telephone Ring 1" (Bank GM, #124). It's quite entertaining.

How do I get ProTools to Export a MIDI track with a sound from one of my other Banks?
Old 06-08-2009, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Basic, basic recording question

A question I might have for you would be what are you doing with the MIDI tracks you export?

Are you actually recording any Program Changes on the MIDI track?

I pretty much only use VIs these days..

But what I found with using MIDI tracks with my QSR is that I can set the programs and bank correctly using program change events. Then I export the MIDI track. Next, if I drag the MIDI file back into protools (into an empty MIDI track with no output assigned), it will list the program changes only by their numeric value. If I then assign the output of the MIDI track to my QSR, the correct patches on my QRS again become listed in the Program Change events.

That is why I am wondering how you are using the files you export.. If you are dropping them into a program which isn't configured to correctly recognize your Triton, then all you get are the numeric values, and those might default to General MIDI for compatibility purposes..

I'm pretty sure there are ways to do this with sysex messages as well, but I can't help you there..