Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 06-26-2021, 04:03 AM

Default Avid s1 with Control Desktop

Hi ,

Can anyone tell me if the following solution would work ..

2x s1
1xdock with iPad running control app
2x 10inch monitors in front of S1’s with Avid desktop control stretched across both monitors to provide 16 meters.

Will it work ..?

Thanks,

Aza
Old 06-26-2021, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Avid s1 with Control Desktop

Some terminology seems odd. You can run up to 4 S1 units with a DOCK. Each S1 can have its own tablet to show metering and other info. The tablets are not required(but are very handy). In any case, 2 S1 and a DOCK are going to work fine. Hope that answers the question

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-26-2021, 07:47 AM

Hi , thanks for your reply .
Sorry I probably didn’t explain properly .
I want to use avid control desktop , this in not the tablet software Avid control.
This version runs in desktop Mac .
I want to buy two small lcd monitors and use them as meter bridges with this system . I’m not sure that it can barter he’s across two screens to work properly with 2 s1.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:23 AM

In theory, yes this could work. However there isn’t enough info about your setup to determine if your system can handle that many video displays. Assuming you have two or three main displays, adding the two 10” monitors for the ADC would mean a total of 5 displays. That’s a lot of strain on your system potentially.

You could easily purchase 2 inexpensive tablets to achieve the same thing.

Also, aligning the meters to the S1’s could prove tricky with the two 10” displays. Just a thought.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:39 AM

Hi, thanks for reply .
At the moment I am running one display and a projector form a pcie card .
I have two extra display out on graphics card .
Also I have spare Mac which I could use to run independently .
Just thinking of different ideas for building a custom console that could be a little more permanent than the iPad or tablet solution .
So the 16 meters could be shared across the two screens in theory if I could make it fit?
Of course just trying out ideas , tablet solution could altogether be better and easier but curious to know what’s possible
Old 06-26-2021, 08:48 AM

Default Avid s1 with Control Desktop

You can’t run ACD on a separate machine. It has to be on the same machine as the S1’s and connected in the EuControl app.

It might be a good idea to borrow a second display from someone so you can get an idea of how ACD spreads across two displays for you.

Here’s a resource for you

https://resources.avid.com/SupportFi....11.pdf#page39
Old 06-26-2021, 08:59 AM

I am also thinking along these lines. I am currently building a room with 4 x S1 and a Dock in the middle. My current plan is to only have a tablet on the Dock, and to get 2 x 4K large computer screens or small TVs and pull those down over the back of the S1s to where the tablets would be. Then to stretch the Avid Desktop Control app across both to provide metering, and put the edit window on one screen and the mix window on the other screen, above the control app. The motivation here is to keep the 2 screens as low as possible to mitigate obstruction of the L & R speakers and keep a nice unobstructed path above the Dock for the center channel speaker.

I am not entirely certain how well this will work, but this is my current starting point. If this really doesn't work, I will either go with tablets for the S1's or go without metering.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:11 AM

ACD will just stretch across the two displays as shown in the photo.

As you can see. The meter widths just widen depending on the monitor size. This is not a customizable option.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:57 AM

Ok, thanks for posting photo .. I haven’t bought an S1 yet so I can test myself ...
I did find this from latest EuControl guide 2020.11

s. Avid Control Desktop can show meters for its as- sociated S1 (like a linked Avid Control app for iOS and Android, and can also be used for Meters display with an Avid S3. Avid Control Desktop can be installed on your primary EuControl workstation or on a separate, external workstation on the same net- work (does not require EuControl or EuControl External Workstation).
Avid Control Desktop can display meter strips for up to 32 tracks and can be stretched over multiple monitors.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:13 AM

I’ve never tested it on an external workstation so I cannot attest to that kind of setup. I’m not really sure what you gain by using ACD with 2 S1’s instead of just using dedicated tablets.
$80 Fire HD10 when on sale.

I believe ACD was primarily designed for S3 owners wanting visual meters and track info.