Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2003, 07:28 PM

Default advice on recording a live concert

i'm recording my ex-girlfriend [don't ask], her roommate and a friend doing a piano trio concert. i'm going to use my pc, running LE 5.3. Just wondering what steps i should take to ensure that i have no hiccups during the concert. my biggest concern is letting the thing record for so long. i'll be sure to set the maximum record time to all space available, but besides that, anyhting to tweak to safely record for large chunks of time [30 minutes to an hour]? thanks for your help.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:40 PM

Default Re: advice on recording a live concert

What interface will you use? I've had moments when my 002 goes down for nearly 15 minutes and won't power back up, possibly overheating. My main suggestion is to try and be in a seperate room or perhaps below pit (if there is a subsection under the stage) so you can really isolate yourself from the environment, and maybe hook up a fan.
Old 07-12-2003, 08:20 PM

Did you catch my song in the "Let's hear your latest stuff" called "In God we Trust"? I recorded a 1.5 hour concert 4 nights in a row using 8 tracks with one stop at intermission. My system is an athlon 2100 using 5.1 on WinME. Not one hiccup. I started with a clean drive and each night I copied the files to an external drive and defragged to ready for the next night. Ensure the power source is solid. I mention the song above because it was taken from one of the nights of recording.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:25 PM

Anybody has tried to record a long timw with 16 channels at same time? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2003, 09:33 PM

about 2 weeks ago I recorded another concert that ran 2 hours with one break. I used a sweet G4/osX with a 002. 16 tracks. No glitches. We're doing it again next friday and we'd like to record 32 at one time using two 001 sync'd together.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:13 PM

thanks mr seven....gives me hope. i'm just paranoid. i've put my pc through some long sessions before, but usually takes of a 5 minute song, not 1 crucial take of 30 minute halves.i'll be using the 001, i'm running XP on amd xp1800 system with MIS mobo [via k266]. it's usually VERY stable. i'll just be recording a stereo track using the blumlein [spelling?] technique with my studio projects C3's. i've defragged in preparation, and have 12 gigs of space, probably won't even need 1/4 of that i'm guessing. the box will be in a room off stage, but i'll probably be in the first row of the auditorium thanks to some extension cables. i'm in oklahoma, so i guess it is an issue from a month ago until god knows when. thanks for the encouragement.
Oh yeah, gonna send a direct out to a minidisc recorder just in case. laters
Old 07-13-2003, 01:56 AM

We're doing it again next friday and we'd like to record 32 at one time using two 001 sync'd together. [/QB][/QUOTE]

you can do that?

www.Chrisclouse.com
Old 07-13-2003, 06:34 AM

yep. everything needs to be locked to a single clock source and one system is the master, generating MTC for positional information that all slave machines will follow.

you then import the extra 16 tracks from the slave to the master session and hey presto, 32 tracks recorded live!
Old 07-13-2003, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aziel:
Anybody has tried to record a long timw with 16 channels at same time? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Every other week, 18 channels for about 2 hours straight. Sometimes PT stops drawing waveforms if you record that long on a single session on older computers, but I've had no problem really.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:31 AM

Hello,

I was just curoius on how much disk space was used ? I have an event coming up in August .

Thank you.

Take Care,
Gene