How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 11-25-2021, 12:28 PM

Default Re: M1 Max MacBook Pro Monterey, Kontakt Crashing Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQEG View Post
I have almost identical Macbook pro setup but the crashing seems to occur on any virtual instrument where my library is kept on an external drive (i.e. Kontakt, Spitfire-BBCSO). Instruments where the library is on the MBP HD see to work.

Anyone else seeing the same trend?
All of my samples and NI sample libraries are stored on the 2TB MacBook Pro Hard Drive. Ive doubled checked also inside of Native Access under Content Location in preferences and reinstalled the Kontakt Factory Selection that keeps crashing. Previously I did use external drives.

The strange thing is though that I can get "The Giant" sample library instrument to work and not the others. I have no idea why its only that one but how come only that library works and the rest immediately crash Pro Tools? I understand NI and Monterey etc isn't compatible right now, but if this one can work then why can't the other libraries?
Old 11-26-2021, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJRivers View Post
All of my samples and NI sample libraries are stored on the 2TB MacBook Pro Hard Drive. Ive doubled checked also inside of Native Access under Content Location in preferences and reinstalled the Kontakt Factory Selection that keeps crashing. Previously I did use external drives.

The strange thing is though that I can get "The Giant" sample library instrument to work and not the others. I have no idea why its only that one but how come only that library works and the rest immediately crash Pro Tools? I understand NI and Monterey etc isn't compatible right now, but if this one can work then why can't the other libraries?
All my libraries are also on my internal drive.
Again, protools itself seems to work fine, and all my plugins seem to work fine in Ableton, which leads me to believe the bottleneck is the Aax protocol.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:07 AM

AAX itself is almost as efficient than Apple's homebuilt AU, the problem is many plugins (like infamously Kontakt for example) are VST plugins wrapped in AAX shell.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:07 AM

Has anyone made any progress here? Reading through this thread it seems some people are using Kontakt in Pro Tools just fine on M1 Pro and M1 Max. I'm really curious to know what the difference is.

Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.10 - macOS Big Sur 11.6
10 Core iMac Pro
64GB RAM - Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176 MB
UA Apollo x8

Last edited by fretfingers; 12-01-2021 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:09 AM

I am not so keen to test on anything until Apple delivers 12.1 update. This current 12.0.1 is a disaster in every way. Would also be great if Avid gave us a christmas present and release Apple Silicon native PT software (and iLok too).
Old 12-01-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
AAX itself is almost as efficient than Apple's homebuilt AU, the problem is many plugins (like infamously Kontakt for example) are VST plugins wrapped in AAX shell.
Janne, you repeatedly assert that Kontakt AAX is a wrapped VST. Lord knows I'd like to believe that, since it'd be convenient. But where is the reference that you can back it up with? I've looked through the internet over the last few months and can't find where it's buried. If you could point us towards the source of that info, it'd be much appreciated. and we'll all hope that in their big Silicon-native recode, that NI makes a "real" AAX version (and one of KK as well), if so.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 12-01-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
we'll all hope that in their big Silicon-native recode, that NI makes a "real" AAX version
Yes we all hope for that, and have been hoping for years already. If you ask them, they do not reveal technical details but if you delete Kontakt VST plugin because you do not have a VST host, it stops working. How about that. Or maybe I have had bad luck.
Old 12-01-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Yes we all hope for that, and have been hoping for years already. If you ask them, they do not reveal technical details but if you delete Kontakt VST plugin because you do not have a VST host, it stops working. How about that. Or maybe I have had bad luck.
Seems like bad luck. I deleted all VST and AU installs I could find on my computer, and my PT template with many Kontakt instances still loads, and the tracks are playable.

It has felt better in the last year or two (unless I'm using one of the tempo-synced Instruments) but I'll still hope it's better when they do the big (and necessary) re-code.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 12-01-2021, 03:19 PM

Yea, they need to. But they have been so successful with AAX version that... how to put it... there are less Kontakt users on PT platform than any other platform
Old 12-01-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Yea, they need to. But they have been so successful with AAX version that... how to put it... there are less Kontakt users on PT platform than any other platform
eh, I always just figured that German devs just liked German DAWs more... because they grew up with them or something. Stupid thought on my part, but maybe they did think that AAX might go away at some point. AAX-DSP sure didn't fare well.