Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-08-2017, 11:03 AM

Default Anyone using Dante Virtual Soundcard?

Hi there,
I'm currently using an interface of 2 * ADAT to get audio signals into PT 12HD . Since now we have the ethernet audio , anyone had used Dante Virtual Soundcard Combined with your audio interface like a aggregate devices?
Old 11-08-2017, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Anyone using Dante Virtual Soundcard?

PTHD doesn't aggregate.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:59 AM

Care to elaborate? I am using 12.8.2HD (no HDX or HDN cards) at home with an Mbox Pro 3 (FW800 adaptor) a Scralett 18i20 (USB) and SoundFlower's 2 channel virtual sound card as an aggregate device. Mbox WC to the Scarlett for sync and software is software.

So to answer Dante, I have used it at the studio where I work, but we just didn't have a work flow that needed it currently. The interface and UI is a bit clunky but works are they present it.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Harry View Post
Care to elaborate? I am using 12.8.2HD (no HDX or HDN cards) at home with an Mbox Pro 3 (FW800 adaptor) a Scralett 18i20 (USB) and SoundFlower's 2 channel virtual sound card as an aggregate device. Mbox WC to the Scarlett for sync and software is software.

So to answer Dante, I have used it at the studio where I work, but we just didn't have a work flow that needed it currently. The interface and UI is a bit clunky but works are they present it.
Cool . How do you have your audio interface with SoundFlower clocking synced?
Old 11-08-2017, 12:30 PM

I work for a gear manufacturer and we use Dante Virtual Soundcard all the time for easily getting audio out of a computer for demo purposes.

I absolutely wouldn't use it for tracking- the lowest latency value achievable is:

4ms (for DVS) + 32 samples (for audio buffer) + 150us (for Dante converters).
This is one way.

So you are looking at a roundtrip latency value of about over 10ms.

If you use the Audinate/Focusrite/Yamaha/SSL PCI-R card then you can get the latency down to an acceptable amount but DVS by itself is not really fit for this purpose.

For a print rig, or for recording a live gig where you are not monitoring then it is an excellent choice.
If you had a console and didn't need to monitor then DVS would work ok.

As an aggregate device- no, I wouldn't go down that route myself.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 11-08-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
I work for a gear manufacturer and we use Dante Virtual Soundcard all the time for easily getting audio out of a computer for demo purposes.

I absolutely wouldn't use it for tracking- the lowest latency value achievable is:

4ms (for DVS) + 32 samples (for audio buffer) + 150us (for Dante converters).
This is one way.
I used to track with DVS all the time. Doing recordings of live performances I've tracked as many as 40+ channels at a time (using something other than Protools of course).

I don't give a rat's ass if the latency is 1 nano second or 10 seconds, as long as the tracks get written every time.

Now we're using our Focusrite units and an HDX system so I don't have a need for DVS in our main recording rig any more.

My problem lately with DVS is that there seems to be some odd and unexplainable errors where the sample rate seems to change without warning and without actually indicating a change. I've not had any problems using actual real Dante hardware units, but DVS seems to be presenting some randoms errors with Mac OS X on too regular a basis for me to be comfortable these days.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 11-08-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Harry View Post

When I think HD, I think HDX and HD Native. i.e. Digilink I/O boxes, and they don't aggregate.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:31 PM

I've used DVS as the playback engine for Pro Tools HD on several occasions, but never in an aggregate setup. It usually needs a Dante hardware device on the network to function as a master clock. I've usually used it to patch my Pro Tools rig into an existing Dante system, like when mixing on-site for theme parks, museums, etc. I believe that you can now get around the need for a hardware Dante device as master clock with Dante Via, which is a separate app that needs to be on a separate computer on the same network. Dante Via and DVS cannot run on the same computer at the same time.
Hope that helps!

Last edited by originalscottyg; 11-08-2017 at 01:35 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-08-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
I've used DVS as the playback engine for Pro Tools HD on several occasions, but never in an aggregate setup. It usually needs a Dante hardware device on the network to function as a master clock. I've usually used it to patch my Pro Tools rig into an existing Dante system, like when mixing on-site for theme parks, museums, etc. I believe that you can now get around the need for a hardware Dante device as master clock with Dante Via, which is a separate app that needs to be on a separate computer on the same network. Dante Via and DVS cannot run on the same computer at the same time.
Hope that helps!
Yup, exactly right.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 11-09-2017, 10:39 AM

The trolls are winning...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk