Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2011, 09:03 AM

Default hide/show tracks in edit window?

Question 1:
How do I hide/show tracks in one of the edit or mix windows without the same choice appearing in the other, so that I can show for example all tracks in the mix window but only a few in the edit?

Question 2:
When I try to save window configuration, the save function doesn´t seem to be very stable, sometimes the saved configuration stays and sometimes not.
Any advice?

yours fransmo
Old 01-10-2011, 09:11 AM

Default Re: hide/show tracks in edit window?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fransmo View Post
Question 1:
How do I hide/show tracks in one of the edit or mix windows without the same choice appearing in the other, so that I can show for example all tracks in the mix window but only a few in the edit?

Question 2:
When I try to save window configuration, the save function doesn´t seem to be very stable, sometimes the saved configuration stays and sometimes not.
Any advice?

yours fransmo
1. Not possible. But you can fit selected, contiguous tracks to the edit window with Ctrl-Command-Up arrow (Mac).

2. Never had a problem. What happens?
Old 01-10-2011, 11:54 AM

q1:
I take it you are right there, it would be handy though.

q2: Some choices are not remembered, for instance I save three different mix window setups i. e. narrow, wide and "drum tracks". PT seems to remember only wide and narrow where as the drum tracks mixer window is not remembered at all? The whole function doesn´t seem to be very well programmed at all for some reason, or maybe I am making something wrong.

Strange, I thought PT would be able to handle such simple operations. Cubase have done it for years.

Two other similar silly things that bugs me are 1. why is there no one-finger shortcut to switch between mix and edit windows and 2. why do you have to manually disengage the group function every time you start up PT, to avoid having all sliders activated as soon as adjust any volumes. Mystifying...
Old 01-10-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
q1:
I take it you are right there, it would be handy though.

q2: Some choices are not remembered, for instance I save three different mix window setups i. e. narrow, wide and "drum tracks". PT seems to remember only wide and narrow where as the drum tracks mixer window is not remembered at all? The whole function doesn´t seem to be very well programmed at all for some reason, or maybe I am making something wrong.

Strange, I thought PT would be able to handle such simple operations. Cubase have done it for years.

Two other similar silly things that bugs me are 1. why is there no one-finger shortcut to switch between mix and edit windows and 2. why do you have to manually disengage the group function every time you start up PT, to avoid having all sliders activated as soon as adjust any volumes. Mystifying...
  • Q1 - I am right, and PT simply has a different way of dealing with the show/hide status of tracks. Window configurations are not meant to deal with this.
  • Q2 - Track width in the mix window is saved with a WC. Show/hide status is not.
So, PT is able to handle such simple operations, but you aren't able to handle PT...yet. Take a peek in the manual, and read up on memory locations. They are meant for what you're trying to do, and you can also link them to a WC if you want.

Silly thing #1 - It doesn't bother me, but I guess you can make your own shortcut in your OS, or with a macro program.

Silly thing #2 - This doesn't sound right at all. Are you sure the session is saved and closed with the "All" group off?
Old 07-15-2016, 06:22 AM

You can use markers in combination with a window config to do want you want, assuming there are soecific sets of tracks you need to show/hide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1
Old 07-16-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Question 1:
You can vote for that here :
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ws/243796-3779
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...dow/16141-3779

In the mean time, that is what I do :
all the tracks, that shall not appear in the edit window : smallest track height,
the wanted tracks : fit to screen height,
that saved with a mem loc with the general property "track height".
At least with this method, the unwanted tracks are just a flat line and disappear when one scrolls the edit window to the top.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060