Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2010, 06:36 AM

Default PTLE 8.0.3 - spinning beachball whenever changing buffer settings

I'm attempting to run 8.0.3 on a new iMac 27 inch and mbox2 mini. I've gotten sessions to open, but no audio comes out. When I attempted to change the buffer settings, i got a spinning beach ball and PTLE was completely frozen.

This happens every time I launch protools, including when I do not open any session and instead go straight to the playback engine menu, so it is not dependent on any external hard drive settings or anything (although I've tried sessions on both the internal drive and external, just to check). I've tried changing the buffer, the processor number, the processor utilization, and the RTAS error warnings checkbox (i'm not on that computer so I can't remember the exact names). As soon as I select any of the options, the cursor starts spinning, and I have to force quit PTLE. I even tried waiting 20 minutes to see whether it would finally do something, just in case.

All of this occurred on a brand new iMac out of the box with no other applications installed, using the 8.0.3 full download installer, and with no 3rd party plug-ins. I've tried to go through every step of the general troubleshooting page including:

turning off sleep, bluetooth, display dimming, airport, firewire networking, and spotlight indexing
installing the latest pace drivers
deleting the preferences, repairing permissions, deleting the databases and volumes folders
deleting the coreaudio prefs
uninstalling PTLE and reinstalling it (three times, and the last time I did not install any of the coreaudio extensions)
using a different user account.

My setup is the new 27 inch iMac with 4gb of ram and the core i7 processor, running 10.6.2 and all the latest updates. Any advice? Next steps? I've attempted to search the forums for answers to this, but so far I've found no one who appears to be having a problem like this.

On my old macbook pro, this was all running perfectly fine. Sigh... Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:16 AM

Default Re: PTLE 8.0.3 - spinning beachball whenever changing buffer settings

Looks like I am indeed the only one with this issue. Can any one point me in the direction to the number for tech support?
Old 01-21-2010, 09:43 AM

Try the online Chat

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=259975
Old 01-21-2010, 10:30 AM

Awesome, thanks for the link.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by srslab View Post
Online chat is NOT for Tech Support! It's only for customer service issues.

If you want tech support in the U.S. call 1.650.731.6100 or go to theTech Support Request Form to submit an email request.

There is a known issue with these i7 iMacs that we're investigating - at the moment there is no clear solution.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:01 AM

same spinning beachball with the new iMac 27'' core i5 with mBox 2 and ProTools LE 8.0.3 & 8.0.3pr !