Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2022, 01:37 PM

Default New MacBook Pro/ Old OS

Hey all - I’m in the market for a 14 inch 2021 M1Max MacBook Pro, but today, found out anything ordered will ship with Ventura instead of Monterey as it releases on Monday. This, of course, sucks for software compatability.

Is it true that if a computer ships from Apple with Ventura, there’s no way to go backward in OS to Monterey?

If so, I could wait for the M2 Max MacBook Pro, but these M2 heat issues make me nervous!!

Thoughts???

Thank you!!!
Old 10-22-2022, 03:04 PM

Default Re: New MacBook Pro/ Old OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpardo View Post
Hey all - I’m in the market for a 14 inch 2021 M1Max MacBook Pro, but today, found out anything ordered will ship with Ventura instead of Monterey as it releases on Monday. This, of course, sucks for software compatability.

Is it true that if a computer ships from Apple with Ventura, there’s no way to go backward in OS to Monterey?

If so, I could wait for the M2 Max MacBook Pro, but these M2 heat issues make me nervous!!

Thoughts???

Thank you!!!
The 14” MBP you buy after Monday will likely be able to run Monterey. Only new Apple hardware designed and initially released after a new OS, will be incapable of running an older macOS.

A future hypothetical M2 Max MBP would certainly not be able to run a macOS released before the hardware release.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 10-22-2022, 03:29 PM

Downgrading a Mac to the OS it originally shipped with (on launch day, not your order day) is possible, but lately been made tricky. Once you get your machine, googe these things before you go on with nthe downgrade
- apple t2 security chip
- apple security regarding OS reinstall
- how to boot from external drive on m1
- external drive requirements m1 external boot

You will need to do this research either before you start doing it or while doing it. OS up/downgrades are not so straight-forward they used to be.
Old 10-22-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpardo View Post
Hey all - I’m in the market for a 14 inch 2021 M1Max MacBook Pro, but today, found out anything ordered will ship with Ventura instead of Monterey as it releases on Monday.
Where did you hear this? It's my thought that they won't unbox all those laptops just to install Ventura. I'm pretty sure they'll be installed with Monterey....especially if you purchase from a 3rd party like B&H.
Old 10-22-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobob View Post
Where did you hear this? It's my thought that they won't unbox all those laptops just to install Ventura. I'm pretty sure they'll be installed with Monterey....especially if you purchase from a 3rd party like B&H.
It is just up to what has been sent from factory
Old 10-22-2022, 05:13 PM

The apple website said Ventura as OS, which I confirmed with an Apple tech person. B/c it’s a custom order (not an in stock machine), likely will have Ventura.

Any thoughts on M2 stuff?