Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2013, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Hackintosh - Salvage your HD PCI cards - You Can Do It Too!

I met the owner of this company....

they make custom rigged computer to your spec MAC OR PC

this company is on the cutting edge of this Hackintosh stuff and if you want they can put it together for you and their prices are VERY fair

they are in Alhambra, CA

http://quocomputer.com/projectq/

http://quocomputer.com/?ref=qyKKZ

Old 02-07-2013, 06:20 AM

I just wanted to report that my Hackintosh build just got a facelift up to Mountain Lion 10.8.2, and Pro Tools 10.3.3 HD is behaving quite well. With a PCI HD3 Accel system, no less. I have a dated motherboard (SATA 2) but it doesn't seem to slow anything down. If I were building one today, I'd definitely look at the Jetway 4-slot motherboards, and something with Thunderbolt.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:32 PM

FYI after much luck with the hackintosh I decided to go PCI-E & therefore have an extra PCI core card I'm looking to offload. Passes digitest, asking for $350 obo. Msg me if interested. Ebay ID is Dorian123 (card is on ebay) with 100% feedback. Sorry if this is considered spam.

Rock on!

D
Old 02-16-2013, 02:00 PM

Hey guys! Not to shamelessly self promote... actually, thats exactly what I'm doing. Check out these videos. I've built quiet a few of these systems last year. Doing my first Q77 build next week. I'll keep you guys posted.

Old PCIx build :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwzm4hm_cZQ

New Native Build with Thunderbolt running 2000 plugins at once!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAp2r-ZxjL0
Old 02-16-2013, 02:01 PM

Oops, forgot to mention. Ask me if you guys are running into problems. I'll help you out as best I can
Old 02-17-2013, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Re: Hackintosh - Salvage your HD PCI cards - You Can Do It Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimak415 View Post
Oops, forgot to mention. Ask me if you guys are running into problems. I'll help you out as best I can
A thought... On your PCI x build with the i7 tower. Can you plug in a 13 slot magma chassis with an HD 6 accel to the hackentosh via the PCI x interface card? And run ptools 10? The chassis is not qualified for PCI e Intel macs. I have been reluctant to change. Need a new Mac. New chassis ala pe6r4, Etc..... Perhaps a hackentosh is the way for me ton run ptools 10 with very little capital investment.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Old 02-18-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
A thought... On your PCI x build with the i7 tower. Can you plug in a 13 slot magma chassis with an HD 6 accel to the hackentosh via the PCI x interface card? And run ptools 10? The chassis is not qualified for PCI e Intel macs. I have been reluctant to change. Need a new Mac. New chassis ala pe6r4, Etc..... Perhaps a hackentosh is the way for me ton run ptools 10 with very little capital investment.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Well, you have a few options.

The most PCIx HD Cards you could put into a tower is 4, so technically, you can never do an ITB solution and will always require your Magma.

That said, my recommendation would be to just get a new Host Card for your Magma Chassis. I'm relatively confident that the 13 slot box supports the PCIe host card. The Jetway builds are rough around the edges. They require extensive tweaking and have a bunch of unsupported hardware. Jetways are the crummiest Mobos I've dealt with when you put them up against Asus or Gigabyte. I have built that native system and have had a client attach a 7 slot (as best as I can recall) Magma Chassis via a PCIe host card and it works without a hitch.

Keep this in mind. Avid said they will no longer support TDM. HDX and Native are their future (and I suppose inevitably ours). So do some cost/benefit analysis of an upgrade and just know that you will be stuck with Pro Tools 10 if you want your TDM :)

Last edited by Dimak415; 02-18-2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Creative speling and grahmer
Old 02-19-2013, 01:05 PM

This is why I'm choosing the Gigabyte mobo w/one PCI slot. If I can't get it to work with my 7 slot chassis, then I have a native or HDX build that'll work.
This may be another avenue for you to consider?
GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 LGA 2011
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128532

Quote:
Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimak415 View Post

Dima,

Will you please mesage me regarding your builds, if you don't mind?
Old 02-20-2013, 01:35 PM

So confused.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2