Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-19-2013, 02:59 AM

Default Clip Groups to save time in TV Series for ATMOS?

Hey everyone,

Wondering if I'm doing something wrong here.

Let's say we have various areas that appear in every single episode and therefore we can save time by creating say a 5 track layer of atmos tracks. . .some tone, birds, water drips. . .etc.

I've looped each track so that they last exactly 3 minutes (should cover a good chunk of any given scene).

Then I have set a single volume automation level for each track so that it's exactly how I want. Then I grouped the tracks. Named them so that they're called after each area and then exported the group.

However. . .when I import the group in another episode it doesn't bring the automation which costs me a lot of time. . .I was wondering is there a way of exporting the groups so they keep the automation? It's not automation with fades up and down - it's a general 'Write to selection' level just to get a feel for the scene.

Thanks for any help!
Old 06-19-2013, 03:03 AM

Default Re: Clip Groups to save time in TV Series for ATMOS?

AFAIK Clip groups don't contain automation data.
My work around is to create the groups with automation on a specific track in your source session, and then import that track into your new session
Old 06-19-2013, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idris View Post
AFAIK Clip groups don't contain automation data.
My work around is to create the groups with automation on a specific track in your source session, and then import that track into your new session
A that's disappointing. Thanks a lot for your response though.

I might do it the old editor way and clip gain it down! Set my levels. . .highlight it all and 'convert volume automation to clip gain' then export the group. :)

Then for every ep when i've imported them all I'll convert clip gain to volume automation.

Maybe. . .if that works haha.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:43 AM

This has been up for three years on ideascale:

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ort/13878-3779

Because of this you still have to do the old track-import thing that we've been doing for a decade. Clip groups are not really useful to move sequences around sessions. As you noticed even levels and pan are lost.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
This has been up for three years on ideascale:

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ort/13878-3779

Because of this you still have to do the old track-import thing that we've been doing for a decade. Clip groups are not really useful to move sequences around sessions. As you noticed even levels and pan are lost.
Yeah it's a real pain but what i've done is create a completely blank session with 5 stereo tracks. I've then automated them . . .and put them into groups and marked them.

So i've 10 groups. . .4 minutes apart (3 minutes of each scene and one minute of space) and then i'm going to 'save copy in' and import this session into every blank template I do for all of the eps.

----

I'll go through each scene of the show and create a marker and then I'll have a very easy way to lay the atmos. . all I need to do is click on the marker i've just created on my skim-through the show (lets say the first scene is in the lounge). . click on 'Lounge' go to my 'Lounge' group that i've imported and CONTROL+ALT+CLICK and it'll duplicate and snap the group way down the timeline to my marker. :)

I guess that's what you've been doing to. :)