Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 02-27-2013, 01:32 PM

Default MBox Pro 3 CoreAudio Manager says (HW not found), but...

Hey guys and gals, been a while, hope all is well...

I had been running a rock solid 002/Snow Leopard system for years, hence the quiet spell.
Recently upgraded to a Macbook Pro (late 2012) and an MBox Pro 3, and I'm experiencing a weird issue w/ getting the Avid CoreAudio Manager to recognize the MBox.
If I fire up the CoreAudio Manager, it says "unsupported device" and "(HW not found)", BUT - it seems to actually be working just fine.
It shows up as an option in the Sound system preference pane, and system sound comes right through. It also works in Ableton Live. The MBox control panel seems to work fine, and the MBox itself is running fine in PT, afaik, it's just that the CoreAudio Manager won't show as working.

I'd like to get this ironed out, as I can see a scenario in which being able to change the buffer setting in the CoreAudio Manager would be important.

I did have to install and re-install PT and the MBox driver several times before it finally worked. If I remember correctly, installing the MBox driver first ended up being the thing that did the trick to getting it to work for 3rd party sounds.

Has anyone else had this "problem"? Why would it say "(HW not found)" when it obviously is?

MBox driver is 1.1.3, PT is 10.3.3, CoreAudio Manager is 10.3.3, OSX is 10.8.2

thanks in advance
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 02-28-2013, 11:05 AM

Default Re: MBox Pro 3 CoreAudio Manager says (HW not found), but...

What cable or adapter, are you using????
regards
Old 02-28-2013, 11:15 AM

MBox Pro 3 doesnt need Coreaudio Manager.

Coreaudio Manager is used by for 002, 003, HDX, HD and HD Native families.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman_hdz View Post
What cable or adapter, are you using????
regards
A firewire 400 to 800. Not sure of the brand, might be the one that came w/ the Mbox Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bharath View Post
MBox Pro 3 doesnt need Coreaudio Manager.

Coreaudio Manager is used by for 002, 003, HDX, HD and HD Native families.
Huh. Really? So the MBox line are the only interfaces they make that don't use coreaudio for 3rd party apps? I would have thought my endless searching on the DUC and Gearslutz would have turned that up.

Thanks guys. Off to Google I go...
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 02-28-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftalive View Post

Huh. Really? So the MBox line are the only interfaces they make that don't use coreaudio for 3rd party apps? I would have thought my endless searching on the DUC and Gearslutz would have turned that up.

Thanks guys. Off to Google I go...
No they use core audio for third party apps, they just don't need the Avid core audio driver. This also applies the the Eleven Rack, and I expect/hope all future similar interfaces. You manage core audio for these devices via the standard Apple Audio/MIDI control panel. A much better way to do things. And for more complex things the Mbox Pro 3 come with its own very nice driver control panel.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:05 PM

Ahh, that makes more sense. So the Avid CoreAudio Manager is essentially not relevant when using the MBox Pro 3? I can't hardly find any information connecting the two, when searching here, or GS, or Google, maybe that's why. Most of the threads and posts I'm coming across reference an older MBox, or operating system, or version of PT.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 02-28-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftalive View Post
Ahh, that makes more sense. So the Avid CoreAudio Manager is essentially not relevant when using the MBox Pro 3? I can't hardly find any information connecting the two, when searching here, or GS, or Google, maybe that's why. Most of the threads and posts I'm coming across reference an older MBox, or operating system, or version of PT.
Yes, just follow the (very brief) instructions in your Mbox user guide, it says nothing about Avid's Core Audio driver. And the core audio driver notes/download page makes it clear what interfaces it is used for. You should hopefully have found this with a web search.

Darryl
Old 03-23-2013, 02:07 PM

I am having the same problem where coreaudio is not recognizing my new mbox pro. I have clean uninstalled and reinstalled up to 10.3.4 a couple of times.
I am running a2008 imac 24' 2.8ghz with 4gb RAM snow leopard 10.6.8
my mbox pro has package1.1.3 and firmware1.0.3

its working fine in protools 10.3.4 and is correctly recognized and working in my mac's audio midi and sound preferences for itunes safari etc, but the coreaudio program is giving me the unsupported device and HW not found message. No 3rd party applications (garage band and line 6 gear box) are getting any sound from my mbox pro at all. The mbox pro control panel seems to be working fine and shows i am getting signal to it but wont give me any 3rd party software to work

I tried the install of the driver first then protools again and have scoured the avid site trying to figure this out can anyone offer any more help than whats here already?

2:46 pm Update
I did one more clean uninstall of both protools and Mbox pro drivers and i am now getting sound to all of my 3rd party apps although the core audio still has the unsupported device and HW not found message. I have achieved what I needed without the coreaudio!!!!!!! Nice thank you for you advice
Old 03-23-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobrien View Post
I am having the same problem where coreaudio is not recognizing my new mbox pro. I have clean uninstalled and reinstalled up to 10.3.4 a couple of times.
I am running a2008 imac 24' 2.8ghz with 4gb RAM snow leopard 10.6.8
my mbox pro has package1.1.3 and firmware1.0.3

its working fine in protools 10.3.4 and is correctly recognized and working in my mac's audio midi and sound preferences for itunes safari etc, but the coreaudio program is giving me the unsupported device and HW not found message. No 3rd party applications (garage band and line 6 gear box) are getting any sound from my mbox pro at all. The mbox pro control panel seems to be working fine and shows i am getting signal to it but wont give me any 3rd party software to work

I tried the install of the driver first then protools again and have scoured the avid site trying to figure this out can anyone offer any more help than whats here already?
Did you read all of this thread? Carefully? The Avid Core Audio utility does not work with the Mbox. Not expected to, should not, it is working as designed not to. So completely irrelevant to any other issues you have. I hope you are not trying to mess with that utility after its explained so clearly above. And of not then your problem is not related to this thread and you should have started a new thread for his problem.

If the Mbox shows up in the OS X Core audio utility then that is a good sign. Are you selecting it as the input device in garage band under preferences>Audio/Midi? Try setting the direct device there, not the system setting and don't mess with aggregate devices. Does that work? If there is much more to this can you start a new thread, start by reading the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link on this web page, and the type of info asked for there, tryign to be really clean in exactly what your settings are in the audio/midi control panel and in the audio input/ouput settings for any app you are trying to use... we cannot guess what you have set there and that is quite likely the root of this issue, or close to it.

If the driver appears suspect (i suspect this is not the issue), do a "proper"/paranoid driver reinstall: physically disconnect the Mbox, download the latest driver from Avid, run the uninstaller included in the download, reboot the Mac, run the new installer you downloaded. Power off the Mac, connect the Mbox but leave powered off. Power up the mac and once booted turn on the Mbox power.

Darryl
Old 10-29-2013, 09:07 PM

What hardware does the Avid Core Audio utility work with? I'm using Logic 9.1.8 with OS 10.7.5 and after backing up and reinstalling Lion to an SSD, I'm unable to use my Digi002 with Logic.