Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2001, 10:02 PM

Default Re: ATTENTION ADAT/PT LE USERS...

OK...

I had a lot of problems with this whole sync deal and I still have a couple more but...

I HAVE GOTTEN ADAT TO DUMP TO PTLE IN TRIGGER SYNC! ! ! (Not fully resolved/frame accurate but as close as 001 gets).

My biggest problem after I got PTLE/ADAT to "talk" to each other was this completely abhorant Snap, Crackle, Pop and rotating clock error and sample rate error messages

I have to hand it to Mike Pope! He knows his stuff! He suggested better optical cables.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE IMPORTANCE OF QUALITY OPTICS! I went to the store and got 2 Hosa brand 3 foot TOS LINK optical cables and VOOHALA! NO MORE ANNOYING POPS!

My theory is that, if optical cables are not extruded from the glass with perfectly smooth side walls, then the signal gets "Garbeled" by early and late reflections of data and Time Code off of the imperfections in the walls of the optical cable itself! Sort of like comparing the differece between the Telescope Optical Mirror at Mnt. Palamar Observatory and a "fun house" mirror. Which do you think is going to give you the better representation of the original image?

It will generally POP once as soon as the transport is engaged in that split second before ADAT decides to FINALLY send it's clock pulse. I may get the rotating message once or twice and then it's off to the races with crystal clear audio from ADAT to PTLE!

If you get the "...held off interupts too long..." message more than twice, close and SAVE the sessions, exit PTLE, re-boot if you have to, then re-open the session.

Remember that the MTP AV is used with no setting changes right from the box. If you make changes to a Set Up in MTP AV, save it to the Base Set Up, Exit out of everything and re-boot before attempting to use the new setting. There may be a better way that I'm not aware of yet but I KNOW that this DOES work!

Now if I can get it back to ADAT again and "in phase" I'll be the happiest little studio owner this side of the universe!

PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO ALL THAT "thepontif" (a.k.a. Mike Pope)HAS POSTED IN THIS THREAD! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

It will save you tremendous ammounts of head and heart ache!

Eric Heil
The Loft Recording Studios
Lawrenceville, GA

Eric Heil
Angelic Productions, LLC
More Pro Tools rigs than I can shake a stick at...
www.AngelicLive.com
FaceBook Me!