Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2000, 03:45 PM

Default Overview Of CD Burning Software??

I'm using a G4 400 with System 9.0, an Adaptec SCSI card and a Yamaha 4416 CD Burner.

I am a Mac guy, through and through, but after using SoundForge's CD Architect on a friend's PC, I am used to having incredible flexibility with fades/volume levels/track spacing/ID positioning when burning audio CDs. There seems to be a curious lack of high-end burning software out there for the Mac, which is shocking to me since it's always been the machine for creators of sound and visuals.

Toast 4.0 works great for basic CDs, where fades and track spacing are not important.

Jam doesn't seem to support my burner, and I don't know what its features are above and beyond those of Toast.

I've heard Mastertrack mentioned here and there, but I have no idea what its features are and I don't know anybody who uses it.

Can anybody tell me what the score is?

Every1sPal
Old 03-31-2000, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Overview Of CD Burning Software??

Pal
Jam does support the 4416. You have to download a plug in from their site to allow Jam to recognize the burner then it works as advertised.
Bill
Old 04-01-2000, 09:02 AM

Thank you Bill!! Guess I should've checked the site more thoroughly.
Old 04-01-2000, 10:03 AM

a lot of us have been asking for a masterlist/sound designer type combo. this would be a truly lethal system, worth a lot of money. simply put, it would make digi rich.
i paid for masterlist, use it, but have to have SEVERAL two track editors (each doing specific functions) open to tweak a little bit.
i tell ya', digi;
mlcdsdII would be a savior to us old skool digi folk.
Old 04-01-2000, 05:32 PM

Emagic's Waveburner also seems to be a very hip CD mastering package. It seems to do everything Jam does, but it includes graphical xfades and is definitely more modern looking than either MLCD or Jam. I haven't used it (I have Jam 2.5 and a 4416, also), but the demo looked pretty impressive.

I think you can use Spark, also - although when it comes time to burn, it loads Toast.

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 04-03-2000, 11:01 AM

Can anyone tell me; what can MasterList CD do that Waveburner can't? Waveburner is GUI, supports newer CDR's and costs less. Give me some reasons to choose MLCD instead.

Steve