Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-20-2009, 08:55 PM

Default Logic and DP DAE breakage-is it permanent? YES

Digi's PT 8.0.3 press release makes it sound like future DAE versions will never work with Logic and Digital Performer again, whereas motu.com is
a little more optimistic, saying:

"Pro Tools 8.0.3 or later is not compatible with Digital Performer's DAE mode. As new versions of Pro Tools are released, please check www.motu.com for DP DAE mode compatibility information."

Anybody know if Digi, Motu, or Apple plan to keep working on it,
or is it a lost cause?
Old 12-21-2009, 01:52 AM

Default Re: Logic and DP DAE breakage-is it permanent?

I was using DP7 as a front end for PTHD while waiting for 8.0.3.
I kind of liked it. I think it would be a big lose for Digidesign since new computer and particularly the new Mac Pro is so powerful that going native you can run twice the plugins count on a basic nehalem machine, the TDM
cards become less appealing even if they make a new one. II know PT is more stable but still food for thoughts...
SO IMHO it is not a good time to drop things when the other guy come up with such ridiculously powerful machine. I just got one I am so exited, forgive my exitment....I'll be calm now
Bye
Eric
Old 12-21-2009, 08:53 AM

I ran DP/DAE when I first got an HD system a few years ago. There were MAJOR issues that were ultimately deal breakers. I switched to PT full time, and never looked back. The "issues" I had were mostly fixed, but over a YEAR later. But these issues were replaced by other issues. Motu is way to slow and incompetent for me to ever want to risk my livelihood on whether or not they can keep DAE working on a professional level. Even if Digi kept DP support, and there were currently NO issues, I wouldn't trust it. Because at some point, something would break, and Motu would take eons to fix it. I say let's give the coders on both sides a break, and kill this dog once and for all.

I can't speak for the Logic part of this equation, I never tried it.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dann View Post
I ran DP/DAE when I first got an HD system a few years ago. There were MAJOR issues that were ultimately deal breakers. I switched to PT full time, and never looked back. The "issues" I had were mostly fixed, but over a YEAR later. But these issues were replaced by other issues. Motu is way to slow and incompetent for me to ever want to risk my livelihood on whether or not they can keep DAE working on a professional level. Even if Digi kept DP support, and there were currently NO issues, I wouldn't trust it. Because at some point, something would break, and Motu would take eons to fix it. I say let's give the coders on both sides a break, and kill this dog once and for all.

I can't speak for the Logic part of this equation, I never tried it.
I hear ya, but the feedback I was getting on DP 7 DAE was that it finally actually worked well with PT 8.0. Oh well...
Old 12-22-2009, 09:06 PM

I could never get DP and PT 8 to work in DAE mode. I tried emailing MOTU (they seem to only take tech support via email) but they actually rejected some of my questions and IGNORED the others! I was being civil BTW, just trying to get things to work. I found that pretty amazing. I've never run into attitude like that.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puphead View Post
I could never get DP and PT 8 to work in DAE mode. I tried emailing MOTU (they seem to only take tech support via email) but they actually rejected some of my questions and IGNORED the others! I was being civil BTW, just trying to get things to work. I found that pretty amazing. I've never run into attitude like that.
Funny you should mention motu tech support. During the year that I tried to make DP/DAE work, I often called motu tech support, to ask/complain/plead regarding issues I was having. And despite my previous calls, the techs always "had never heard of" the various issues. Issues, by the way, that were currently being discussed on both Gearslutz and Unicornation. You know, comon-knowledge kind of stuff. After many months passed, I came to the conclusion that DAE support at motu was not even on their radar. I kicked it to the curb and never looked back.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:56 PM

Right I think that's it. After all they want us to use THEIR hardware. Anyway it's too bad. I find some things about DP quite useful but I cannot tolerate their approach to customer service. By contrast, yesterday I had a major Pro Tools problem, called the Pro Access line, got it fixed and went back to work, all within half an hour. MOTU operates like a bunch of college kids or something.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:34 PM

Has there been any further official information/confirmation from Digi that this is THE END of DP/Logic DAE support and compatibility ?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:01 PM

Well all I can say, if anyone from Digidesign is listening, is that I think you're making a huge mistake if you have made any permanent decision not to permit Digital Performer to run under DAE.

I am a full-time pro who has been using Performer since 1987, and Digidesign products going back to Sound Designer I and ProDeck/ProEdit. I used Digital Performer with my Audiomedia cards, and I have continued to use Digital Performer with my current HD2 Accel system. My studio currently has 3 TDM systems, all running PT. I use DP/DAE in my composing room for original music production (mostly scoring to pic).

I won't bore you with the reasons why ProTools has been the best solution for our facility, but I will tell you that the reason I run DP as a front end for PT in my room is that it is the GUI I am used to, it gives me the MIDI features I need, and I know how to get the results I want from it. I know that you have made major improvements to ProTools' MIDI capabilities in PT8, and that's great (though I'm not convinced you've provided me with all the features I'm accustomed to in DP). But the point is: it's not really about the MIDI capabilities in PT, whatever they might be. I simply don't want to have to learn all over again. I'm comfortable working in DP. I'm fast in DP (and I need to be for my work). Why on earth would you want to force me to change my well-established workflow at this stage of the game--after some 20 years of DP/DAE support? What about all my archives of DP/DAE projects? How can you discontinue a configuration you've supported for 20+ years? I wonder how would you feel in my place.

I can't believe it's a financial decision because no one is asking you to do anything other than cooperate with MOTU. Do whatever you want with PT, add whatever features you like. All I ask is that you cooperate with MOTU. Let them know what you're doing. Allow them to continue DAE support. One of the reasons I invested in PT is because I *can* choose to use DP as my front end. If you make changes to a new version of PT that break DP support, that's fine. Just let us know (so we don't update until MOTU catches up), and let MOTU know what you changed so that they can fix things at their end. That's all I'm asking.

DP/DAE has had a checkered history, largely due to the constantly changing relationship between Digidesign and MOTU. Those of us who have remained loyal to this configuration have done so because it is a unique platform that provides an excellent solution for a particular set of needs. The ability to run DP with TDM hardware is an incredible added value to my Digidesign purchase, and I am certainly not looking forward to a day when I am forced to choose one company or the other--which will force me into a hardware choice as well--when the combination of the two allows me to work the way I want, and allows me to continue supporting both Digidesign and MOTU, the two companies that are most integral to my work.

Thanks for listening.

Say it ain't so, Joe. Or buy MOTU and solve the problem that way.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:24 AM

It's NOT that Avid/Digi won't permit DP/dae or Logic/dae to work. Apparently according to the statement that was made Avid/Digi ran into some technical difficulties that won't allow the combo to work under Snow Leopard. What people don't realize that haven't written software that there are times when something just cannot be made to work due to other changes that were made. In this case that would be Apple's new OS. I mean after all, does Apple consult with third party software programmers on what features should or shouldn't be in their OS? I don't think so. They may allow third party programmers to use alpha or beta versions of the OS to update their (the third party s/w's) work, but that's about it.

QAPLA!