Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2006, 08:16 AM

Default Re: Best Desktops for PTLE

Just get one of these bad boys and dual boot into XP/OSX. This is the best thing going right now and PTLE compatibility is right around the corner for the OSX version.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

Allen
Old 04-01-2006, 08:51 AM

Dr. Allenstein is suffering from momentary lapse of reality, due to a frontal lobotomy or was it a bottle in front of me.
Disregard any posts from him concerning Apple products.
He may also been seduced by the Macside of the Force!

Yoda

Old 04-01-2006, 10:47 AM

Shoud I get XP Professional x64 or the standard for the Allenstein?
Old 04-01-2006, 11:43 AM

Pro Tools will not run on XP Professional x64.
There are also no hardware drivers available for 64 bit Operating Systems yet.

So Standard 32-bit Windows Xp Professional or Home are the only two choices.

Matt

Old 04-01-2006, 08:50 PM

A8V motherboard for Athlon 64 X2 performance using AGP video cards I highly recommend this motherboard if you are planning to add PCI cards such as the UAD-1 card.

Hey Allen, a quetion for you - do you mean ANY PCI card use, or just audio-related PCI DSP type cards? The reason I ask is that I have been having some significant issues with PT LE 7 (and now with PT LE 7.1 MPT) and I'm running two PCI cards on my Asus A8N-SLi Premium mobo / AMD 4200 X2 system - a second Firewire card (for external drives; using the onboard firewire for the 002), and a Promise Ultra 133 TX2 for extra internal hard disks. That's being used just as an IDE interface, and NOT for RAID.

Thanks bud!

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:38 AM

Quote:

A8V motherboard for Athlon 64 X2 performance using AGP video cards I highly recommend this motherboard if you are planning to add PCI cards such as the UAD-1 card.

Hey Allen, a quetion for you - do you mean ANY PCI card use, or just audio-related PCI DSP type cards? The reason I ask is that I have been having some significant issues with PT LE 7 (and now with PT LE 7.1 MPT) and I'm running two PCI cards on my Asus A8N-SLi Premium mobo / AMD 4200 X2 system - a second Firewire card (for external drives; using the onboard firewire for the 002), and a Promise Ultra 133 TX2 for extra internal hard disks. That's being used just as an IDE interface, and NOT for RAID.

Thanks bud!
Hey Phil,
Long time my friend. The reports I'm seeing are mostly PCI sound cards. I haven't heard of other cards such as the ones you have listed being an issue.
Hope all is well in your world.
Allen
Old 04-02-2006, 06:46 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking of upgrading to the cheaper allenstein (under $600) and I'd like to get MSI K8T Neo2-F (similar to Asus A8V) which supports Athlon X2 via bios update. Does anyone know if I need to reinstall Windows XP if I change mobo and processor? Any help will be much appreciated.
I'd stick with Asus for PTLE for compatibility reasons. The A8V is still available from www.newegg.com at a low price. Yes a reinstall of XP is recommended with any change of motherboard/chipset/bios.

Allen
Old 04-02-2006, 06:49 AM

Quote:
The specs I read for the Allenstein contain a dual 2.4 Ghz CPU ( Athlon 64 4800).

I know the first post of this thread with the specs is regularly updated to be current. But I guess what I'm wondering is, without reading through over 200 pages of posts or at least the last few months worth, that I hear talk of "quad" this and that. Are the Allenstein specs what I would want to do to get as much power as possible? And if so, will that be a significant increase from my P4 3.4ghz?

thanks in advance......
Have Shane configure you the latest Quadzilla Opteron. As soon as we get more testers on this setup and confirm its compatibility with PTLE we'll get it on the first post. It seems to be working great for him. Anything with AMD x2 or x4 is going to blow the doors off your current P4 system with PTLE 7.0 or above.

Allen
Old 04-02-2006, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm thinking of upgrading to the cheaper allenstein (under $600) and I'd like to get MSI K8T Neo2-F (similar to Asus A8V) which supports Athlon X2 via bios update. Does anyone know if I need to reinstall Windows XP if I change mobo and processor? Any help will be much appreciated.
I'd stick with Asus for PTLE for compatibility reasons. The A8V is still available from www.newegg.com at a low price. Yes a reinstall of XP is recommended with any change of motherboard/chipset/bios.

Allen
Thanks for the reply Allen! I'm from the Philippines where the Asus A8V board isn't available. Do you think the MSI K8T Neo2-F would be a suitable alternative being that it has the same chipset as the A8V?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Allen
Thanks for the reply Allen! I'm from the Philippines where the Asus A8V board isn't available. Do you think the MSI K8T Neo2-F would be a suitable alternative being that it has the same chipset as the A8V?
It should work. Just get a good return policy in case it doesn't.

Allen