Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 10-07-2014, 02:40 PM

Default What can I do/buy to run Pro Tools at a buffer less than 1024 (Mbox Pro 3)

I have a very powerful sequencer-slave setup but no matter what I do I can't seem to EVER be able to sequence at less than 1024 samples. If I try, I get a bunch of clicks and pops. I'm using a decent-sized Vienna Ensemble Pro template to house my midi which is sequenced by PT 10.3.9 on Mavericks 10.9.1 with an Mbox Pro 3 as my playback engine. Is the MBox the problem? What can I throw money at in order to solve this problem?

I've been thinking about upgrading to a UAD apollo in order to be able to run a small buffer but I'm not even sure if that will do it. Is Pro Tools the problem? Or is the fact that the mbox is firewire a contributing factor to my high latency?

Just looking for a solution but if it's a hardware issue then I guess I'm happy to upgrade.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:05 PM

Default Re: What can I do/buy to run Pro Tools at a buffer less than 1024 (Mbox Pro 3)

The first thing to work out is is your computer close to performing as it can, and how much more horsepower might you then need.

What exact Mac model/CPU spec/memory do you have for your DAW computer? And same for your (hopefully) separate VEP host.

What are your Pro Tools playback engine settings (all of them)?

Have you followed all the standard system optimization steps ? if you do not use VEP at all and/or just print all the Vi tracks what is the smallest buffer you can get down to?

What plugins are running in Pro Tools at all and how many instances of each? What ditto for in VEP? And I hope that is on a remote not local system.

Are all the plugins up to date?