Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2013, 11:22 AM

Default Re: PT vs. Waves? Anyone else have problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave911 View Post
I mentioned on another thread, could be Waves is making lower level graphics for speed and that's why they got messed up and others are working.

Just a guess.
That might be a pretty good guess, they are seriously into assembler programming. Now that they've got AAX done they may address this problem.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:22 PM

I have 4 monitors on 2 Radeon HD5450s. Waves 8 was fine, Waves 9 screwed up with blank GUIs unitl about a year after release when an update solved it for me. No idea how the new AAX version will work - need both PT11 and WUP. My history of problems makes me wary of the double investment - maybe all the GUIs will go grey again, and now as I understand it I can't go back to Waves 8 if the worst happens.

Who knows?!
Old 09-13-2013, 03:38 PM

They are on the 13th version of 9.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:39 PM

I've used PT on 2 monitors since I started with PT 7LE back in around 2006. And I've had Waves all that time, as the Silver bundle came with my PT purchase.

In those days, I was using my original 23" Apple Cinema Display (which cost far more than my first Mac when I bought it in '01, and is currently languishing in my basement under its dust cover — anyone wanna buy it?) and a 24" Dell monitor. Then I moved to the matching 23" Cinema Displays that I still use.

Since I never even thought about moving to 3 monitors, I guess I was fat, dumb, and happy and dodged that potential bullet.

The only issue I notice with Waves is within Peak Pro. If I try to instantiate any Waves plugin in Peak 6 or 7 as a VST, I get an error message. If I instantiate as an AU, it works fine, but the Waves GUI isn't there; I just get a bunch of sliders for whatever parameters exist in that particular plug. And this isn't a recent development. It's been going on for quite a while.

Since Peak doesn't exist any more, I can't imagine that this is ever going to be fixed.
Finale 26.3.1
Old 09-13-2013, 08:37 PM

Nope, mine is working just fine. Now I'm just patiently waiting on UA and NI.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:01 AM

I have the AMD Radeon HD 6870 1024 MB on my MacPro 2009 model. 3 monitors are connected. 2 samsung 26" full HD resolution and main dell 27" in 2560x1440 resolution. Working perfectly.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:55 AM

As a multi-monitor user of PT for years now, I feel I should chime in -

I have been running 4 DVI-connected monitors with Pro Tools on a PC for 2 or 3 years now with no problems using this 1 card:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have had problems when I've ran the multi-monitor manager software Display Fusion Pro at the same time as Pro Tools. Simply exiting Display Fusion and then running Pro Tools negated any problems that I was having.

Running Waves now with PT11 and no graphic glitches or problems have been noted yet.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:08 AM

Good to have Waves plugs but not great because performance is worse than RTAS in PT10. At least here. Other plugins are performing better (AAX vs. RTAS) but Waves performs poorly. Don't know why, but I'd point my finger to the WavesHell.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie Hole Sound View Post
As a multi-monitor user of PT for years now, I feel I should chime in -

I have been running 4 DVI-connected monitors with Pro Tools on a PC for 2 or 3 years now with no problems using this 1 card:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have had problems when I've ran the multi-monitor manager software Display Fusion Pro at the same time as Pro Tools. Simply exiting Display Fusion and then running Pro Tools negated any problems that I was having.

Running Waves now with PT11 and no graphic glitches or problems have been noted yet.
How do you acquire 4 different (unique) desktops with only one card? I need one for the Edit window, One for the Mix window, and one or two for floating windows. This one card can do all of that?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 09-14-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtomassetti View Post
Hi:

Like so many others, I was thrilled to get the notification about Waves, so I downloaded the AAX2 shell, and also the latest version of WaveShell and installed them both.

And lo and behold, PT 11.0.1 and 10.3.7 were completely nonfunctional. When I went to open either version, the splash screen showed up and absolutely nothing else. No "Initializing hardware," no "Scanning plugins," nothing. I had to to the cmd-opt-esc thing to force quit.

Both versions were working fine yesterday.

I moved both WaveShell (AAX and DAE) out of their folders and tried to launch PT 10 and 11, and still absolutely nothing.

I did the only other thing I could think of, which was to uninstall and reinstall 10, and reinstall 11 from my downloaded .dmg.

After the restart, both versions opened, scanned plugins, and worked normally.

Did this happen to anyone else? Both REAPER and Logic and Peak Pro worked with the current version of Waves, though Logic did took its usual long time to scan all the AUs, and Peak Pro continued its annoying habit of not showing the Waves GUI when a plugin is instantiated.

I'm glad everything is back where it should be, but still a little surprised at the hassle it was.

Cheers,

GT
FYI, You can always call waves tech support. They are very helpfull and never charge for any tech support services. And to top it off a 2-3 min wait time on average. Not sure how they pull all that off being that a few studios use them in the North America.

ps: I was being VERY fecetious when I said "a few studios"