Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2009, 09:17 PM

Default Anyone Using VE Pro?

Been a couple of years since I've been on DUC so I've missed a lot of good threads. Maybe you can get me up to date.

Haven't used PT 8 yet. Anyone using VE Pro for orchestral stuff?
Both for master and slave computers?

I've been using Logic for the past while and am considering getting PT again. However my work is heavily centered on large orchestral sample templates using VE Pro.

Thanks!

Old 12-07-2009, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Anyone Using VE Pro?

u didnt have any specific questions. it will work on pt. my questions is why would u want to go to pt.. a large template like what logic can hold will deem too much for pro tools unless u have a lot of HDs. also very uncomfortable, but u still can.
why not do it media venture style of having pro tools as a dubbing/video playback computer synced to logic and audio transferred digitally. ?
this way u use both programs potential
Old 12-07-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
a large template like what logic can hold will deem too much for pro tools unless u have a lot of HDs
That's why he's asking about VE Pro in Pro Tools!

It works a lot more elegantly in Pro Tools than it does in Logic actually. In Logic, you have to have a MIDI track and an Aux track for the audio for each VE Pro instrument/channel. Plus there's a limit of 1 MIDI port/16 MIDI channels per instance of the VE Pro AU plug-in within Logic. In PT8, you have one instrument track and access to 8 MIDI ports in VE PRo It's very neat.

With VE Pro, you're going to struggle with low buffers in PT but no more than DP. Logic is more efficient. This may hopefully change with Avid's promised improvement in RTAS efficiency.

The days of lots of sample farm computers are gone for me! I've just gone down from 5 to just one with 5.5GB of samples loaded! Since I'm just using the one Mac Pro, I can't comment on how PT and a slave running VE PRo is working.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:27 AM

Here's a couple of links around the DUC just in case u wanna check on some more input on'eim... 1 2

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 12-07-2009, 12:09 PM

[QUOTE=Marsdy;1508840] In Logic, you have to have a MIDI track and an Aux track for the audio for each VE Pro instrument/channel.

Umm, no, not here. VEP's audio and midi are via the Logic channel strip discretely....no extra midi track and audio track are needed. That's the beauty of VEP within any host.

ML
Old 12-07-2009, 12:36 PM

[QUOTE=D Bag;1508965]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
In Logic, you have to have a MIDI track and an Aux track for the audio for each VE Pro instrument/channel.

Umm, no, not here. VEP's audio and midi are via the Logic channel strip discretely....no extra midi track and audio track are needed. That's the beauty of VEP within any host.

ML
I'm talking about in Logic. Each channel of a multitimbral instrument in VE Pro needs a midi track AND an aux track in Logic's mixer. Except the first channel where the VE Pro plug-in is instantiated of course. It's pretty clunky compared to PT.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:13 PM

Yeah, having one track per instrument is what I'm looking for. Having less than a 100 tracks would be a relief.

Also, grouping solos on the fly in Logic is basically non-existent, making mixing of a large template a real chore. I've been looking at a pair of Smart AV Tangos as controllers to get around that last issue. Mixing large templates in Logic is a real drag.

Still, buying a decent HD3 rig would be less money (but maybe more of an integration issue) than the pair of Tangos. I'm not yet quite emotionally ready to give up Logic for this task but it seems like PT is getting better at MIDI editing and with VE Pro large templates of 3rd party virtual instruments are looking easier to do. I wouldn't even have to change my instruments to RTAS with the localhost or the slaves - just use RTAS for the VE Pro Server app.

I'll get around to reading those links tomorrow. Thanks for them.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:06 AM

pss .. already answered