Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2007, 09:20 PM

Default iMac to PC & back

I am a ProTools newbie and would appreciate any advice I can get.

I have a G3 PowerPC iMac DV400 (400 MHz processor) with 320 MB RAM, running mac OS 9.0. All I currently have is the nearly maxed out internal 9.5 GB hard drive, but I plan to get a couple of firewire external drives.

I have the OS 9 version of PTFree on my iMac. I am collaborating on a CD project with a friend, who is almost as much a PT newbie as I am. He recently bought a used PC running Windows 98 and PTLE 5.1.1. He has some kind of rack audio interface, I don't know make or model. We have figured out how to successfully download our analog tracks from 8-track reels into his PT LE 5.1.1.

My question is, how can I transfer these files saved in PT LE 5.1.1 to my iMac, so I can tweak them at home? And then tranfer the Mac files back to the PC? I have had no luck trying to open a PC PT LE 5.1.1file burned to CD with my Mac version of PTF. I believe Digi says PTF lacks cross platform compatibility, so maybe this should come as no surprise.

If there is no way to swap files between WIN PT LE 5.1.1 and Mac PTF, can anyone tell me what PT version would run on my iMac, and be able to do the kind of back and forth Mac to PC file exchange I am in need of?

soyelwalrus
Old 04-07-2007, 09:38 AM

Default Re: iMac to PC & back

If it was an individual audio file burned to CD that you were trying to transfer then cross compatability shouldn't be an issue. If you are trying to transfer the entire session that included the Audio and Fades folders plus the .pts file then there could be a problem.

So...if you have the individual file(s) that was/were burned to CD out of the Audio folder of the particular session on the PC, you can get that into a Mac session by placing the CD in the Mac drive and inside of a ProTools session use the "Import Audio to Track" command (which is available in the File dropdown on a PC-not sure where it is on a iMac even though I've done it on Macs) to import the audio file(s) into your session on the Mac.

That should work.....good luck