Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-27-2010, 10:57 AM

Default Questions about switch from LE to HD

Sorry if I sound like a noob. But well. I guess when it comes to hd am, but I'm looking to buy an hd rig along with a c24. But I'm not exactly positive what all I need for a working system. Any help or thoughts would be great
Old 08-27-2010, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Questions about switch from LE to HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinAllen View Post
Sorry if I sound like a noob. But well. I guess when it comes to hd am, but I'm looking to buy an hd rig along with a c24. But I'm not exactly positive what all I need for a working system. Any help or thoughts would be great
If you don't know what you need... why are you buying an HD system?

What are you currently working with, and why do you feel you need more?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 08-27-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
If you don't know what you need... why are you buying an HD system?

What are you currently working with, and why do you feel you need more?
He is in the HD forum looking for info, presumably to get the info from Hd users. He probably did not expect an intercept from another LE user asking him to explain his reasons.
To the OP. Computer card (pcie) , interface, and a computer are what u need to get into 8.1 HD. The c24 has 16 mediocre preamps and is essentially the GUI in hardware form. Peruse the avid products and search the DUC for more info. There is plenty there.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:20 AM

Thanks, that's what i thought I needed, I just wasn't positive if that was all or not
Old 08-27-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formfunction View Post
He is in the HD forum looking for info, presumably to get the info from Hd users. He probably did not expect an intercept from another LE user asking him to explain his reasons.
To the OP. Computer card (pcie) , interface, and a computer are what u need to get into 8.1 HD. The c24 has 16 mediocre preamps and is essentially the GUI in hardware form. Peruse the avid products and search the DUC for more info. There is plenty there.

Can I not have a single post without your "You don't have HD so you don't get to post here!" mentality?

My question is completely legit. Obviously you need cards, an I/O and a computer... but why spend the money if all you need is 20 tracks and all you have is a 57?

Plus, there's a significant different between the needs of an HD2 user, and an HD6 user. I'm not saying, "You don't need HD! Just stick with LE!" I'm asking what he intends to use HD for, so we can all make more helpful and imformed comments, rather than "you need cards, an I/O and a computer, and BLAM you're good to go!"

D

Old 08-27-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:

Can I not have a single post without your "You don't have HD so you don't get to post here!" mentality?
Not only don't you have it, but you don't use it... But, by all means keep posting. If nothing else, it is entertaining. ff
Old 08-27-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Plus, there's a significant different between the needs of an HD2 user, and an HD6 user.
Don't see a lot of guys going from LE to HD6, but I am glad you got their backs.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formfunction View Post
Not only don't you have it, but you don't use it... But, by all means keep posting. If nothing else, it is entertaining. ff
I don't use it on a regular basis, but I have used it, and will use it again in the next week or two. But please, keep trying.

D

Old 08-27-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinAllen View Post
if u just want to try it out or start getting into it, there are the mix tdm systems that are sold at very low price. you wont go above pro tools version 6.xx
but it still is good.
you can get aa tdm mix with a g4 computer for $1000-2000 sold together.

then if u wanna go a step up there is the pcix tdm systems that can go for 2500-3500 for hd2 with a 96 i/o or 192D . no computer.

and would recommend the euphonix mc mix as a controller that works great although not as client impressive as the c24.

but depends on your needs.

btw...
watch out for the cables.. those pro tools cables are expsensive if u buy them apart. be aware of all the components u need and also be aware of the hardware vs software limitations pro tools has with its upgrades.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:19 PM

thanks for the replies. and the arguments ha. but just to answer his question, my main thing happens to be the tracks actually, and of course the processing power. i purchased the MPTK2 and even that hasnt done a whole world of good, i send each track to a bus and do the mixing there, the mptk2 says im supposed to get 60+ track, but things seem to freak out a bit once i get passed 45. or sometimes i just cant add anymore idk its weird, ans my setup is a 003 console with a bunch of outboard gear and mics. decent equiptment id say, im also just looking to build my studio. and i dont like how limited i am right now with LE.