Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2010, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Limewire shut down-finally

I agree with these post. I hate people that illegally download music. I had a disscussing about that with some up and coming producers/engineers/artist in a class one day. They was like I download free music. Then I asked them if they want people to buy their CDs, and they said yes. . I guess I am trying to change their train of thought, and that they doing that is just making it worst.

Also, the record company have to start getting good artist out. Enough of the Soulja' Boy Tell 'em era. We need music with some meaning again. Some Soul, excitement. Why can't most artist aim for perfection like giants like Michael Jacksons, The James Browns, Elvises. Something that means something, and have more than three words repeated in the choruses.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 10-28-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-ManLA View Post
Also, the record company have to start getting good artist out. Enough of the Soulja' Boy Tell 'em era. We need music with some meaning again. Some Soul, excitement. Why can't most artist aim for perfection like giants like Michael Jacksons, The James Browns, Elvises. Something that means something, and have more than three words repeated in the choruses.
Thats just not gonna happen. Music aint about the music anymore, at least for the stars. its about making millions of dollars. Ask Justin beiber if he knows anything about the songs hes singing, what key their even in, and im betting he couldn't tell you. Cause hes paid to sound like a 13 year old girl and bring in the dough.

Mind you, there is hope. Give "The Black Keys" a listen, "Brothers" album. Absolutely amazing album, sounds like it was recorded in the 60's. When it was actually recorded in 10' (2010 that is ).

Nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 10-29-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcrazyfruit View Post
Thats just not gonna happen. Music aint about the music anymore, at least for the stars. its about making millions of dollars. Ask Justin beiber if he knows anything about the songs hes singing, what key their even in, and im betting he couldn't tell you. Cause hes paid to sound like a 13 year old girl and bring in the dough.
And they wonder why people want the music for free...

You'd have to pay me to listen to a lot of the pop garbage out there these days. Instead of making so many millions... make a few less, put money back into artist development, and put the music back into music.

People will buy what they like. People are still consuming media, regardless of what the RIAA tells us. If that weren't true, there wouldn't still be box office numbers broken, and plantium selling records. They do still exist... the people are just more picky about what they will actually spend money on, because they can find out for free whether or not they like it. The radio isn't the only public medium anymore... in fact it's by far the worst. If people stop consuming what they play on it, then the content will have to change.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-29-2010, 05:22 PM

People rip off music because they can. The same people would rip off groceries, rent, gasoline, and telephone service if they could do it so easily and safely. The law is finally catching up with digital technology. Good going.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorboy View Post
People rip off music because they can. The same people would rip off groceries, rent, gasoline, and telephone service if they could do it so easily and safely. The law is finally catching up with digital technology. Good going.
The law isn't catching up with anything... no offense.

Limewire had been out for over a decade. The cease and desist also doesn't account for those who already have the software. If you are already using it, there's nothing stopping you from continuing to do so. There are also plenty of alternatives.

All this does is prove that the "law" is so far behind in doing much of anything. Shutting down limewire now is akin to the fire dept showing up after the house has burned down. With the number of alternatives available, and how many more will show up to replace limewire... It's going to take a lot more to slow down the current trend of piracy.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-30-2010, 01:53 AM

I'm not sure I understand some of the thinking here.

"It's understandable to download "but not pay for" bad music???"

If it's bad don't listen to it, don't download it, and don’t steal it.

If you love it... Buy it.

There is little excuse to steal. No matter what the age is, a thief is a thief. It's not about the law or the RIAA. It's about what's right.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-30-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post

There is little excuse to steal. No matter what the age is, a thief is a thief. It's not about the law or the RIAA. It's about what's right.

Uh huh!
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 10-31-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post

All im tryin ta' say here is justin beiber should'nt go crying to the RIAA when he finds out a few million people got his [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ty album for free xD Im just jokin round tho. Really i stopped downloading when i worked with a few bands, saw how much talent they had, and saw how little money they had :O

Nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 10-31-2010, 04:46 PM

Just quickly, I'm not sure about U.S. law, but here in Australia, merely breaching Copyright restrictions does NOT automatically give rise to criminal liability - only civil penalties apply.

i.e. An illegal downloader would have to be charged with a criminal offence such as theft for criminal penalties such as imprisonment to be applicable.

I used to download quite a bit of music off torrent sites - and those artists I liked I very quickly ended up buying their back-catalog, maybe a t-shirt or two, and in most cases seeing them when they tour.

So 'illegal' downloading can work both ways. For the smaller 'indie' artists, it can help grow a fan-base in parts of the world where the don't have a marketing presence (I discovered bands like The Decemberists, Death Cab for Cutie, Rick Bain, and Creeper Lagoon via bittorrent).

I see doing something like that as ethically acceptable - as opposed to doing something like downloading The Smiths entire collection just to 'have' it.

jc
Old 10-31-2010, 06:35 PM

I didn't realize Lime Wire was still being used until I read this post???

Seems like it took a long time to bring LW down!

Does anyone know how things work with Libraries???

My library has just about every release imaginable

I can take them out anytime for free, so does anyone get paid every time I take a CD out???

Is it legal to Rip that CD so I can listen on my media player???

Same goes for Movies on DVD!!!!