Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2022, 09:02 AM

Default "Commit" or "Bounce" Non ARA 2 Melodyne Track?

Hello

Using Melodyne (Non ARA 2 Version) as an insert on a track.

Does "Commit" and "Bounce" the track give the same processed result?

Thanks,

Sparky
Old 09-30-2022, 01:14 PM

Default Re: "Commit" or "Bounce" Non ARA 2 Melodyne Track?

IF

Melodyne is last insert, NO automation on fader or panners,

THEN THEORETICALLY

Commit makes what gets bounced.

HOWEVER

When the fader is moved after the melodyne, commit would have the audio only up to that point.

So if no changes to the signal occur after the point where commit occurs, then it's the same. Have to consider for instance any BUS or Master processing.

In other words, yes and no it depends.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //

Last edited by nednednerb; 09-30-2022 at 01:16 PM. Reason: add note about BUS processing
Old 09-30-2022, 01:55 PM

Methods vary, but mine(for non-ARA) is to always use Melodyne in the first insert slot>make edits as desired>right-click on the Melodyne Plugin and select "Commit up to this Plugin" and select "Do Nothing" to the original track. Once the commit finishes and creates its new ".cm" track, I move the printed audio back to the original track, but to a new Playlist(so the original un-edited audio is kept handy, but hidden)and make the Melodyne Plugin inactive(or remove). Delete the (now empty) ".cm" track and get on with whatever's next

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-30-2022, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
IF

Melodyne is last insert, NO automation on fader or panners,

THEN THEORETICALLY

Commit makes what gets bounced.

HOWEVER

When the fader is moved after the melodyne, commit would have the audio only up to that point.

So if no changes to the signal occur after the point where commit occurs, then it's the same. Have to consider for instance any BUS or Master processing.

In other words, yes and no it depends.

Interesting... I did not know most of this...

Thank you...

Sparky
Old 09-30-2022, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Methods vary, but mine(for non-ARA) is to always use Melodyne in the first insert slot>make edits as desired>right-click on the Melodyne Plugin and select "Commit up to this Plugin" and select "Do Nothing" to the original track. Once the commit finishes and creates its new ".cm" track, I move the printed audio back to the original track, but to a new Playlist(so the original un-edited audio is kept handy, but hidden)and make the Melodyne Plugin inactive(or remove). Delete the (now empty) ".cm" track and get on with whatever's next
I typically place Melodyne on my first insert as well...

I like the idea of "commit up to this plugin"

I think I'll start moving the committed track up to the original track in a new playlist... good idea!

Thanks,

Sparky
Old 09-30-2022, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
This is exactly what I do. I really wish there was an option to "commit to new playlist." In this case, it would make inactive all plugins up to the point you commit to, make a new playlist and put the processed audio on the playlist.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 09-30-2022, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
This is exactly what I do. I really wish there was an option to "commit to new playlist." In this case, it would make inactive all plugins up to the point you commit to, make a new playlist and put the processed audio on the playlist.
Maybe this is a case where SoundFlow automation would be useful... I'm more and more interested in my own macros for features that ARE there for one button after encoding the specific keyboard shortcuts in sequence, first..!
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //