Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2022, 09:52 AM

Default Selling Pro Tools Ultimate Perpetual - Studio Sub or Perpetual?

Is anyone else considering making the switch from PT Ultimate Perpetual to PT Studio?

I don't use Avid hardware other than an Avid Artist.

I have a 30 day trial of Studio going, and early days but it looks to have all the features I need and has 512 tracks, either mono, stereo or surround.

Wondering if I am potentially overlooking anything I might miss?

Basically thinking it would be cheaper to run PT Studio. Hell I could likely sell Ultimate Perpetual and get 3 or 4 years of Studio subs or Studio Perpetual and a year or 2 of updates....

Last edited by Chevron; 05-01-2022 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-02-2022, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Selling Pro Tools Ultimate Perpetual - Studio Sub or Perpetual?

If you're not using Avid hardware, what features do you feel you might loose?

You don't have HDX or Hybrid anyway.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-02-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
Is anyone else considering making the switch from PT Ultimate Perpetual to PT Studio?

I don't use Avid hardware other than an Avid Artist.

I have a 30 day trial of Studio going, and early days but it looks to have all the features I need and has 512 tracks, either mono, stereo or surround.

Wondering if I am potentially overlooking anything I might miss?

Basically thinking it would be cheaper to run PT Studio. Hell I could likely sell Ultimate Perpetual and get 3 or 4 years of Studio subs or Studio Perpetual and a year or 2 of updates....
Make sure you check I/o count. For me the increase in IO in ultimate without having to goto HDX is a game changer
Old 05-03-2022, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
If you're not using Avid hardware, what features do you feel you might loose?

You don't have HDX or Hybrid anyway.
Not sure, which is why I am asking here as well as trialling Studio, to compare notes with others who are making the move. So far after a few days of working, I have not noticed anything that I need in Ultimate. I wonder if there is a specific chart for Studio vs Ultimate?
Old 05-03-2022, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Not sure, which is why I am asking here as well as trialling Studio, to compare notes with others who are making the move. So far after a few days of working, I have not noticed anything that I need in Ultimate. I wonder if there is a specific chart for Studio vs Ultimate?
You mean this one
https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/comparison-extended

The one I've pointed you to before?
The one you've pretended to read before (but didn't because you asked specifically about differences that were already outlined there)?
Old 05-03-2022, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
You mean this one
https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/comparison-extended

The one I've pointed you to before?
The one you've pretended to read before (but didn't because you asked specifically about differences that were already outlined there)?
No, that does not have Ultimate Perpetual included
Old 05-03-2022, 02:12 AM

Quote:
No, that does not have Ultimate Perpetual included
It does.
Flex = Ultimate

I know Avid marketing really screwed this up but it isn't that hard to understand.
Flex is a bundle that is Ultimate plus third party. That chart does not show any third party (which at the moment is just SoundFlow)
Old 05-03-2022, 02:30 AM

Quote:
It does.
Flex = Ultimate

I know Avid marketing really screwed this up but it isn't that hard to understand.
Flex is a bundle that is Ultimate plus third party. That chart does not show any third party (which at the moment is just SoundFlow)
Agreed, however what about Native I/O? Expert Plus Support? Groovecell and Synthcell are supposedly included but do not show up in my account - support ticket added. Also mentioned elsewhere, that Ultimate doesn't have the same number of Aux tracks?

Maybe it is as clear cut as you say, and if a chart showing the Ultimate features exists alongside Studio or Flex I haven't seen it.
Old 05-03-2022, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Agreed, however what about Native I/O? Expert Plus Support? Groovecell and Synthcell are supposedly included but do not show up in my account - support ticket added. Also mentioned elsewhere, that Ultimate doesn't have the same number of Aux tracks?
Ultimate and Flex are the same on all of those. All

Once again: Flex is the name for the subscription bundle of Ultimate plus Third Party. All of the above are part of Ultimate. None of that is third party (which, as I've mentioned, at this point, is just SoundFlow)
You get Flex and the splash screen for Pro Tools shows Ultimate.
Because that is what it is.

I don't know how many more ways to say this. It is not a hard concept.
Old 05-03-2022, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Ultimate and Flex are the same on all of those. All

Once again: Flex is the name for the subscription bundle of Ultimate plus Third Party. All of the above are part of Ultimate. None of that is third party (which, as I've mentioned, at this point, is just SoundFlow)
You get Flex and the splash screen for Pro Tools shows Ultimate.
Because that is what it is.

I don't know how many more ways to say this. It is not a hard concept.
Anyways, I was asking in this thread if anyone else was considering selling Ultimate Perpetual to jump on Studio for either a Perpetual or Sub. That is the topic....