Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-30-2022, 06:57 AM

Default Playback Issues, Mac vs. Protools

When I turn on the computer, I can open, say, Spotify, and I can select my HD Native Thunderbolt as my playback speakers for my iMac, and I can hear through my system/monitors.

When I launch protools, my HD Native Thunderbolt disappears from the list of playback options for the iMac itself, HOWEVER, I do see it/can select it as the Protools playback engine, but obviously, because the computer can't select it itself, I get no playback/sound when working in protools.

If I close protools, it re-appears as an option for the playback for the iMac itself, and if I want, I can open spotify and play music like before, and hear it through the system.

I should also note, just to troubleshoot, I opened with garage band and everything works as it should I hear everything through garageband, no issues.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything. My HD Native Thunderbolt Firmware is current, my protools is current, my iOS is current and compatible. I've unplugged and replugged everything.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Playback Issues, Mac vs. Protools

Working exactly as expected. Pro Tools (unlike GarageBand) is not accessing the interface via CoreAudio, and wants exclusive access to the interface. If you want to route other CoreAudio to/from Pro Tools sessions using DigiLink interfaces there are multiple ways of doing that, including physical digital IO like S/PDIF out the Mac into a DigiLink interface, or the new Aux IO feature in Pro Tools 2022.9.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-30-2022 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Playback Issues, Mac vs. Protools

https://youtu.be/ULkuwxJTGtY

Ah, weird, as I've never had this issue before, but sure enough, you are right! Thanks!