Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2016, 06:14 AM

Default Surround Audio Interfaces

I can NOT get the discreet 5.1 separation I'm looking for from my DA7 desk, which was actually designed with a 5.1 set of tools. So, reluctantly, I am now considering other options.

I'm just starting my research on surround audio interfaces. So many things obvious to you are not obvious to me at this point. All of my monitors (Equator & Mackie) are powered. So I can just connect my monitors to the interface directly, right?

I'll need one that will allow me to switch back and forth between 2 stereo sets and and the 5.1 array instantly.

Other than that, I'd like to know from you guys what I should be looking for and more importantly, what I should be looking to avoid! What do you guys use? What kind of price to feature ratios are available. I'm seeing units at the $2K point and then others at $6K! What do you get for the extra $4K? Any advice on this would be welcomed.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:22 AM

Default Re: Surround Audio Interfaces

No, you cannot interface powered speakers (or any speakers) to the Artist Series. The Artist Series has no audio interfaces. These are control surfaces only.

I run a 7.1-channel system. The Artist control surfaces control Pro Tools HD. The Pro Tools output goes into an Audio Interface (in my case a Motu). That Audio Interface output goes into the speakers. I believe Avid makes a 6 output Audio Interface but you'll need 8 outputs for 7.1-channel work.

The whole setup produces 8 channels of discrete output (couldn't use anything else). I have a 7.1-channel mix going into my headphones, as well, as a stereo output.

There are a few ways you can set this up but to hear output you'll need more than just the Artist series of control surfaces.

BTW, if you are looking at Pro Tools, you'll need the Pro Tools HD version for 5.1 / 7.1-channel work.

Andy
Old 06-13-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post
No, you cannot interface powered speakers (or any speakers) to the Artist Series. The Artist Series has no audio interfaces. These are control surfaces only.

I run a 7.1-channel system. The Artist control surfaces control Pro Tools HD. The Pro Tools output goes into an Audio Interface (in my case a Motu). That Audio Interface output goes into the speakers. I believe Avid makes a 6 output Audio Interface but you'll need 8 outputs for 7.1-channel work.

The whole setup produces 8 channels of discrete output (couldn't use anything else). I have a 7.1-channel mix going into my headphones, as well, as a stereo output.

There are a few ways you can set this up but to hear output you'll need more than just the Artist series of control surfaces.

BTW, if you are looking at Pro Tools, you'll need the Pro Tools HD version for 5.1 / 7.1-channel work.

Andy
I know that the Artist Series is just a controller. That's why I'm asking about Surround Audio Interfaces. My monitors are currently connected to my desk. If I remove that desk from the set-up, then I'd expect an AUDIO INTERFACE to take it's place.

So, my question is about units like the Dangerous or Coleman audio interfaces. I can just connect my powered monitors directly to them, right? Otherwise, if I had passive speakers, I have to have the interface connect to a power amp for the speakers.

I just want input on what's available, should I decide to "cut the cord" and go totally ITB. With that clarification in mind, how do you like your MOTU unit? I didn't even know they made those kinds of interfaces. I thought they were only for connecting your audio to the computer. I didn't realize that they had "mix down" hardware as well. Are they Mac Specific? I'm on a PC.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:06 AM

Yes, the way you describe is the way to setup. And, yes, non-powered speakers would require an amp at some point in the process, after the audio interface.

I like the Motu 1248. Right now I'm using network in with no hickups. When I do a PC computer rebuild I plan to use the Thunderbolt interface. Only (very minor) annoyance is that it takes a few seconds for the interface to start producing output when changing between sampling rates. Very easy user interface and very reliable for my uses.

BTW, the Avid S3 has an audio interface but it's not enough channels for 5.1 or 7.1-channel mixing.

Andy
Old 06-13-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyplayerG View Post
I know that the Artist Series is just a controller. That's why I'm asking about Surround Audio Interfaces. My monitors are currently connected to my desk. If I remove that desk from the set-up, then I'd expect an AUDIO INTERFACE to take it's place.

So, my question is about units like the Dangerous or Coleman audio interfaces. I can just connect my powered monitors directly to them, right? Otherwise, if I had passive speakers, I have to have the interface connect to a power amp for the speakers.

I just want input on what's available, should I decide to "cut the cord" and go totally ITB. With that clarification in mind, how do you like your MOTU unit? I didn't even know they made those kinds of interfaces. I thought they were only for connecting your audio to the computer. I didn't realize that they had "mix down" hardware as well. Are they Mac Specific? I'm on a PC.

What are you talking about exactly? Monitor controllers or interfaces? Dangerous and Coleman make monitor controllers, not interfaces. What exact products are you talking about? We cannot guess what options you have in your mixer now or how you are getting signals into/out of it with Pro Tools. What is your playback engine set to in Pro Tools today?. That is the "interface".

I also have no idea why this us posted in an artist series forum section. Maybe a moderator can move it,

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-13-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What are you talking about exactly? Monitor controllers or interfaces? Dangerous and Coleman make monitor controllers, not interfaces. What exact products are you talking about? We cannot guess what options you have in your mixer now or how you are getting signals into/out of it with Pro Tools. What is your playback engine set to in Pro Tools today?. That is the "interface".

I also have no idea why this us posted in an artist series forum section. Maybe a moderator can move it,
Well, it would appear that I am talking about Monitor Controllers. My desk is currently filling both functions (audio interface with my PC for the front end and, the now corrected term, Monitor Controller at the back end). To me, it's all the same audio interface in and audio interface out. But I can see how my phrasing might have been confusing.

I did mention that the entire point of my post was to get information on that specific hardware, hence my statement
Quote:
I'm just starting my research on surround audio interfaces. So, many things obvious to you are not obvious to me at this point.
If i go ITB, there will be all kinds of things, that I now take for granted that will have to be replaced by some apparatus or other and that's what I'm trying to find out now.

I posted here because I'm using an Artist MC Control & Transport. Most of the guys here are using these units along with several Mix units. So the likelyhood that they are running ITB riggs is significantly greater than, say Gearlslutz. So that's why I'm asking here. As to my rigg, I've been posting here long enough for most viewers to know that I work on the Nuendo/PC Platform. But I'll repeat it for you.

My Rigg:
Nuendo 1 - 7 |VST Studio Connect Pro | Windows 10 Pro | Intel i7 - 5820K CPU @ 3.30 | 64-bit OS | 32GB of RAM |RME HDSPe RayDAT | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Video Card | Euphonix MC Control & Transport | Xkeys | UAD-2 Octo Core with UAD-1 Legacy Ultra Pak | Isotope RX4 | Melodyne 3.2 | Voxengo Plugins | Real Guitar | B4 II | EZ Drummer | Drumagog 4 | Virtual Guitarist 2 | Korg, Roland, Kurzweil Synths | Apogee Big Ben | 32 Channel Panasonic DA-7 desk | Equator D5 (5.1) & Mackie 824 (St.) monitors | VS-1680 & 880 HDR's |
Old 06-14-2016, 06:09 AM

It is too hard to pick though all your stuff and/or guess what you have or are doing now or need in future.

Many monitor controllers are differentiated by their feature sets so picking between them should be more obvious once you drill into their specs, e.g. stereo or surround sound support, how many monitor sets they support, how many inputs/input types, headphone management, talkback, remote control, playback calibration, etc. Another brand to look at is Grace Audio.

But I cannot even start to guess if you really need (vs. what you seemed to be asking about) an interface or monitor controller or both, or more.

Your interface now is the Raydat doing IO through the digital mixer? We have no idea what your analog tracking/input, artist cue or monitor needs are. You might need an alternative ADAT box to front your Raydat, or ditch the Raydat to get a whole new integrated interface (which itself may include enough monitor control features).

You really should just pick up the phone and call Vintage King or Sweetwater or similar (call several) and talk through your needs and budget etc.