Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2004, 04:49 PM

Default ProTools Killer finally arrives

PT Killer

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 01-15-2004, 05:02 PM

Default Re: ProTools Killer finally arrives

Sounds promising but doesn't deliver on the rumored hardware solution...
High Rock Records & Studio
NYC

http://highrockrecords.com
Old 01-15-2004, 06:36 PM

that is no pt killer. do u even like pt it seems as if u hate on digidesign.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:19 PM

I don't see what the big deal is, Logic really doesn't compete directly with Pro Tools. that is why they all say they are the "market leader" or "industry standard" Everyone knows that for traditional recording (and sometimes not so traditional) Pro Tools is the de facto standard but for other things there is Logic and DP and others that all have their place. Pro Tools is not going away for a long time. No one has bothered to even come out with a diredt rival to it as far as I know because it would not succeed unless it was way better.
Anyway, I tried logic and DP and as many others as I could and PT is still the best for what I do.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:29 PM

Quote:
No one has bothered to even come out with a diredt rival to it as far as I know because it would not succeed unless it was way better.
Nuendo is supposed to be PT's direct rival. i've not used it, but just about everyone says that, while it's not yet PT, Digi could learn a thing or two from what Steinberg have done.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Anyway, I tried logic and DP and as many others as I could and PT is still the best for what I do.
Which can not be emphasized enough...

It's really unjustified to generalize that this or that software can completely wipe out the need for another, such as in this case. For me (as in what works best for what I do and how I like to work), this new Logic stuff seems like the ticket. In fact, I just bought a 3rd party book on Logic (from the Apple Pro Training Series) because I bit the bullet and decided to learn, only because I'm so often out of the house with my Powerbook and I need more than Live and Reason, I need a good sequencer (which happens to Rewire to both of these - bonus) to run NI stuff. Logic Express - $300 - Holy crap, you get the ES1 synth, the ESX24 sampler and their excellent Rhodes/Wurly module, 12-in and-out, no biggie for me, that's plenty.

I'll never ditch ProTools entirely, as one day I'd like to record bands and songwriters (right now my place won't permit that) and in the big picture, I agree, ProTools will always have it's place and be the preferred program for final edits and mixing. Having said that, Logic has apparently caught up quite a bit in the editing department, as well as it's learning curve which has seemingly been alleviated. Who knows what version 7 will bring on top of all the cool things we can read about on the link above.

This is exciting, but not yet a PT killer - sorry!
Old 01-15-2004, 08:08 PM

I've heard that the new Logic isn't the PT Killer that you've heard rumours about. It is suppose to be something totally separate from Logic but we'll see.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:29 PM

I have heard that Nuendo was a rival but I have not used it either. But even then as I understand it they went more after the TDM market with native gear, or maybe it was more of an "in between" LE and TDM. It was for the same type of recording though.
I was quite confused early on a few years back when I would read sweetwater catalogs and they would say how great DP was and it was "the best" and then I would flip the page and they would say thta Logic was the best and then they would say that "all the big studios use Pro Tools" and so I asked a sales rep there and he explained how that they all have there place and they don't really conflict with each other. I think that point is really proven when you look at the Digi dev partner catalog and see Logic there. Many people see Logic and Pro Tools as just two differnt tools in the box. They both get used because they both have their place. I am really looking forward to GarageBand because I think I will be able to simplify some of the things that I do. I do a gospel radio program that I feature a lot of music that I have done and I inport songs from my iTunes playlist into pro tools but of course not directly and then I have to wait a half hour for it to bounce. I think with GB being able to imort directly from the iTunes list will be great and then being able to bounce in a minute or two instead of 30 will be good too. I will probably still edit all of the voice tracks in PT and consolidate them to an AIFF file and inport them but I think this will streamline my project and save time.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:45 PM

Methinks Desertdude is merely sparking controversy. The "entering a fool's argument" adage may apply here...
Old 01-15-2004, 09:08 PM

hmmm...

seems like the _real_ ProTools killer would:

- do everything GarageBand does
- do everything Logic 6 does
- open Cubase sessions
- open DP sessions
- open ProTools Sessions
- work with iMovie, FCP, OMF, etc.
- support TDM, RTAS, Audio Units, VST, blah, blah blah...
- support ANY and ALL hardware in _SOME_ capacity

***but*** maintain the integrity and simplicity that only Apple is capable of.

Think Photoshop for audio: jpeg, tif, eps, bmp, psd, png and all the support
Adobe (and other 3rd parties) provides for various input devices - scanners, digital cameras.

Anything is possible, someone simply needs to step up to the plate and bring it
all together in a unified way. Before Photoshop you had quite a few other mediocre
options, but Adobe positioned and established their app as THE standard. Maybe Digi
has with PT, but they'll need to do some work to keep their position as the market leader.

Again, ANYTHING is possible.

HL