Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-08-2021, 11:54 AM

Default Re: AAF from cutter, all audio synced or just partially ?

What edit system are they on? What you describe could happen a few different ways.

I do sometimes get isos on the timeline but usually for short form work where there might only be 2 or 3 mics.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:39 PM

All 3 picture editors used Media Composer.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 09-09-2021, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Haha! Nice one.
Yes there are quite a few funny ones on that page. People in the US are regularly confused when a German talks about the noise level of a "beamer". "Which BMW model are you talking about?"
Would you care to enlighten us as to what is a 'beamer' for those of us that aren't German?

QAPLA!
Old 09-09-2021, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Would you care to enlighten us as to what is a 'beamer' for those of us that aren't German?
Video projector. The Dutch use the term as well. I remember when some Dutch friends used the term pointing to the projector and they claimed it was an English. Like "handy", for mobile.

Frank linked to Psuedo-English terms. It's kinda funny.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudo-anglicism#German
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 09-09-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Video projector. The Dutch use the term as well. I remember when some Dutch friends used the term pointing to the projector and they claimed it was an English. Like "handy", for mobile.

Frank linked to Psuedo-English terms. It's kinda funny.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudo-anglicism#German
Thanks

QAPLA!
Old 09-10-2021, 09:03 PM

Are you sure there's no mix track? Multiple lavs mixed to a single clip would most likely come from the field recorder mix track. At least from Avid. With Premiere it could happen with a nested sequence.

Those file names are from their ingest and sync process. Are the clips not retaining any of their original metadata?
Old 09-11-2021, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Are you sure there's no mix track? Multiple lavs mixed to a single clip would most likely come from the field recorder mix track. At least from Avid. With Premiere it could happen with a nested sequence.

Those file names are from their ingest and sync process. Are the clips not retaining any of their original metadata?
I have the field recorder folder. No mix tracks, never.
Actually, it is two folders : one for a certain location and one for the rest. The first has metadata, the second none.
Why does an ingest and sync process needs to alter the names of an audio file ? I could understand a suffix to the original name, but not a completely different one.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 09-11-2021, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Actually, it is two folders : one for a certain location and one for the rest. The first has metadata, the second none.
Why does an ingest and sync process needs to alter the names of an audio file ? I could understand a suffix to the original name, but not a completely different one.

Were you the sound recordist for the duration of production?

Documentary usually uses sound to camera during production. It is done for two main reasons - documentary requires many times more footage to be shot than a scripted narrative of comparable runtime, so syncing everything in post is too bigger job. Also the nature of documentary shoots, particularly those with no or low budget, means directors will often draw on whatever resources they have available to them on any given day of shooting. Real life events rarely wait for camera and sound crews. As a result, inconsistency in footage can be common… including the methods used for sound.

Have a casual chat with the editors when you get a chance. They may well have been pulling their hair out too over this project. At the end of the day, their job is to construct a story out of the tens or hundreds of hours of footage they were handed. It isn’t really their job to maintain all aspects of metadata. Audio names will change in an AAF because editors will combine audio and picture and create a clip out of it. That clip then goes in their clip bin after being given a name that makes sense in the context of the story they are building. “PARIS10” doesn’t mean anything to an editor working on a documentary. Dates, places, people, events do. That clip name is then often carried through to the AAF audio.

If you have the original sound from production (not the files associated with the AAF from the editor), and it has no metadata in it, it may well have been recorded that way in the first place. Metadata is useful, but sound sheets, camera slates, and two pips still remain a standard for a reason. So too does sound to camera in doco.

Do some snooping. Chat with the editors. Find out how much the audio varied for them across the footage they were working with. Ask the production (not the editors) for a copy of the original production sound, and see what turns up.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.

Last edited by LDS; 09-11-2021 at 04:43 AM.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Well it shouldn't change the original field recorder file names. Just the clip names in the AAF. If the source files were modified that's a much different issue. Follow the advice above and investigate the chain before the material came to you.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:12 PM

@LDS and @ smurfyou :

Many thanks for those valuable insights !

(No, I wasn't the sound recordist.)