Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-07-2006, 03:10 PM

Default New Digi 001 user

I am a very new digi 001 user and would like some suggestions on what kind of (audio) monitors would be good to start with and how to connect them to the system. In addition, is installing the PCI card something I can do myself (as long as I'm grounded, etc.) or should I pay to have it installed?
Also, I'm curious to know what increasing the speed of the processor will do and if anyone has any suggestions on how/where to get said hardware.
I realize this a very slow and very old set up so any general comments or helpful tips would also very appreciated.

My machine:
G4 450
RAM is Maxed
2 internal drives @ 20GB per

Thanks so much!
Old 01-07-2006, 04:52 PM

Default Re: New Digi 001 user

Old and slow it may be, but you could make good recordings with a 001, many have and still do.

Monitors? You'll get loads of suggestions! Get active monitors at a price you can afford (only you know how much). Maybe check out eBay for Alesis M1 Active. Run them off the monitor ouput of the 001.

Installing the PCI card you can do yourself, all you need is a Philips screwdriver. And yes, make sure you're grounded to discharge any static. After installing any new hardware I'd reset nvram, which is like zapping the PRAM but more thorough in that it rebuilds the device tree. To reset nvram, restart the Mac and hold down the 4 keys Alt-Command-o-f until the Open Firmware command line screen appears. At the prompt type the following commands {(return) just means hit the return key!}:

reset-nvram (return)
set-defaults (return)
reset-all (return)

The Mac will now restart.

Increasing the speed of the processor will enable you to use more tracks and plugins. Whether you need that or not depends on what you want to do. I suggest that you go with what you've got first and then see if and/or how you're limited by CPU speed. If you do need more grunt, here's a place to start.

You didn't mention which versions of Mac OS and PTLE you're using.

2x20GB drives will serve, but I suspect that they're getting a bit long in the tooth! Any drive 4 years old ought to be retired to backup duties. Whether or not you choose to replace them, it's essential that you have some kind of backup strategy. Drives do fail, and invariably at the least opportune moment!

Also, I presume that you have these 2 drives in a Master/Slave configuration on the internal ATA bus? In this configuration the 2 drives are sharing a single bus, and only one drive at a time can be accessed to read or write. For best performance you should have the OS and PTLE on one drive on one bus, and your session and audio files on another drive on another bus.

The internal ATA bus on your Mac is limited to drives 128GB or less (137GB decimal). You could use one of your 20GB drives on this bus for your boot drive with OS and Applications. Get a SeriTek/1S2 SATA PCI host card and a SATA hard drive like the 250GB Barracuda and use it for your session/audio files (no drive size limit on the PCI bus). The second 20GB drive on the ATA bus could be used for backups of your session/audio files. Further on down the road you could use a second SATA drive on the SeriTek host as your boot drive and relegate both ATA drives to backup duties.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:34 PM

Thanks so much Maccool!
To answer your question, I'm running OS 9.2.2.

Also how about write/reading from an external firewire?
Old 01-07-2006, 05:49 PM

Firewire? Fershure! Make sure your FW enclosure has the Oxford 911 chipset. Don't forget about a backup strategy. I use SynchronizePro! X. A great man once said that if ain't automatic then it ain't a backup! Haven't done OS9 for a long time now so I don't know what your options are for scheduled backups. Remember, the only time you'll need a backup is when you don't have one. That's an old law, or charter, or something.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:03 PM

Mac...is there an advantage to buying a SATA card vs. an ATA card?
Old 01-08-2006, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Mac...is there an advantage to buying a SATA card vs. an ATA card?
I think there is, unless you have some new big ATA drives you need to use.

SATA and ATA drives are about the same price, but the SeriTek/1S2 is cheaper than an Acard 6280M which is a 2 channel ATA PCI host card.

SATA has effectivley replaced ATA now in new machines and will continue to develop.

I don't think you'd feel much if any performance advantage with SATA vs. ATA PCI hosts, but either is noticeably better than the native ATA bus.

The standard SATA data cables are much smaller than ATA ribbons and allow for better internal cooling. I know, one could always use round ATA cables, but there goes the cost again!

SATA gives you the option of using both internal and external SATA storage with something like the SeriTek/1VE2+2

I have an Acard6280M in a B&W G3, a SeriTek/1S2 in a G4DA, and I'm about to put a SeriTek/1SE2 in my G5 so that I can run a 2-bay SATA Burly Hotswap enclosure for backup and clients' drives.

So, if starting from scratch, I'd pick SATA over ATA.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Old and slow it may be, but you could make good recordings with a 001, many have and still do.
Old and slow. are you talking about his g4 or the 001? I never have any speed issues with my 001.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:25 PM

If you're budget minded, I used these M-Audio BX5's on my OO1. Made for a clean sweet little setup.