Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-04-2005, 04:18 PM

Default sends and panning trouble. fast help please.

here's what i'm doing and having trouble with.

i create an aux track, set its inputs to a buss (6 in my case), add a plugin to it and then assign the audio track i want affected by that plugin bus 6 in the tracks sends box.

what i'm having trouble with is panning each track seperately. i want to pan certain vocals left and certain vocals right and also have the plugin (reverb in this case) pan along with them. but i also want the reverb that is on the vocal tracks that are panned in the center to remain in the center. i also have a compressor on the vocals running on an aux track.

whats happening now is i have to pan the actual aux track to the right if i want the reverb to only be in the right. but that also means its only on the right even for the vocals that are panned in the center.

what am i doing wrong? am i creating buses and sends the wrong way?

any help asap would be much appreciated.

thanks
Old 03-04-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: sends and panning trouble. fast help please.

You are asking for a relatively complex layout. It is hard to follow your post, but you can do this best by drawing on paper what you want to control with automation. You cannot pan mono tracks and that is probably a lot of the trouble. I always draw a map of what I am trying to do before laying out the routing. In what I think I am hearing from your post, it would be best to duplicate you Aux to both 5&6 and send that to a stereo aux. You can then either automate the volume or simply automate the panning of the stereo aux track. Mix that in with your stereo reverb'd track and your set. Am I close?
Old 03-04-2005, 04:58 PM

the reason why i am making aux tracks with reverb and compressor plugins and routing them to audio tracks is just to save memory. so i don't have to add a reverb plugin and compressor plugin to every single vocal track. i can just assign each track the bus that the plugin's are on (the aux track).

if the reverb plugin was on the actual audio track rather than an aux track i would be able to pan the track to the left and the reverb would pan with it. the problem with having the reverb plugin on an aux track is if i pan the audio track to the left the reverb would stay in the center because the panning on the aux track is still centered. so i would need to pan that aux track to the left in order for the reverb to only be on the left side of the audio track that is also panned left but this would effect the centered vocal tracks that are also running through the same aux plugin track.

would i have to create left,right and center aux tracks? so 3 aux tracks for each seperate plugin? this seems like it would add up to a lot of aux tracks.

confused.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:33 PM

Here's what you should be doing:
- create a stero aux track
- set aux track input to a stereo bus
- add a reverb to the aux track
- set the reverb to 100% wet
- set the aux track's level to 0db

On tracks that need reverb, use a send to the stereo bus you're using for reverb.

Old 03-04-2005, 08:14 PM

thats pretty much what i've been doing. the only difference is i create mono aux tracks.
i tried doing the same thing but only using stereo aux tracks and i still have the same problem.

ok...again...lets say i want to run a compressor plugin on ALL of the vocal tracks using the same setting on all of them. therefor i would run the plugin on an aux track and set all of the audio vocal track's sends to the input bus of the aux track with the plugin on it. this would save me a lot of memory as i wouldn't have to run a compressor on each individual track.

my problem is that i want to pan some of the vocal tracks left and/or right but when i move the pan control on the audio track to the left or right it doesn't do anything because its running through an aux track that is panned in the middle. when i pan the aux track with the compressor plugin to the right it then pans the audio track to the right as well but only if the pan control is panned to the right on the audio track. but now the aux track with the compressor plugin is only affecting the right side of the tracks that i want panned in the center.

does this make sense?

the only solution i can think of is to create 3 aux tracks each one with a compressor on it. pan one to the right, one to the left and keep one in the center. each would have a different bus. and i would send any left vocals to the left panned aux track, any right vocals to the right panned aux track etc...

this seems like it would defeat the purpose of saving memory as i would still have many plugins running.

is this the only way or is there another way to do what i want?

i hope i am making sense.

i am running pro tools LE 6.7
Old 03-04-2005, 09:07 PM

Send your mono voice to the stereo aux
Automate the panning on this stereo aux
put all your plugs on the master fader

Your plugins will be active on whatever you send to the master fader to whichever side.
The stereo aux is only for panning raw voice

Don't be afraid to use aux tracks, you get a lot of them.
They are not CPU or memory intensive.
Route at your pleasure
Old 03-04-2005, 09:32 PM

the last post is still very confusing to me.

any way you can give me a step by step of what to do?

if i'm putting all of the plugins on the master fader wouldn't the plugins affect the whole song including all instruments?

still very confused. argh.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:16 PM

okay, if you also want to add in music, instead of bussing to a master fader from the stereo aux, feed it to another stereo aux and add the the plugins there and send that to the master fader.
You can send the music tracks to the master fader from where ever it's coming from.

The Voice chain is considered a sub-mix... a chain that deals with all the processing of the voice. Another sub-mix is the treatment of the music. A master fader is where all these things are brought back together again.

If you really want to see how these things are dealt with, download these sessions under "New Updated Sessions".
Even if you don't have the Waves plugins or the audio, you can see how things are chained by a professional mastering engineer bu studying your mix window. These are MBox sessions. If you really want to know what's going on, I'd recommend buying the course. It is full of tips. I do believe, however, that you will learn more than you'll ever need if you actually read the PTLE manual.