Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2010, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Done with PT 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
I had a nasty problem yesterday. I'v experienced this several times befor, but yesterday I lost session data and that's the first time.

I was recording in PT 8.0.3 as I usually do. But when I tried to stop recording PT would not let me. It just keept on going. I had to Ctrl+Alt+Del and restart the computer.
I had exactly this issue about three weeks ago...
I had a thread going, but can't seem to track it down just now....
I *think* it might have been EW Play related, but never was able to 100% clarify this.
Anyway, I got sorted.....
The first thing I always do in this instance is run the Digi App which deletes preferences.
I ran that, which didn't solve the problem, so I spent about a week trying to find other fixes.....
In the end I MANUALLY trashed the preferences as per the troubleshooting thread... Problem solved.
It turns out (if you read the small print that comes with the app) that in certain circumstances the app DOESN'T in fact do the job that it's supposed to do (it also doesn't let you know this....!)
Trashing prefs MANUALLY is the only really safe way to go.

Just to add to this thread, I'm running 8.0.1 on a PPC, and also 8.0.3 LE on my Macbook, and both have been TOTALLY rock solid... I was on 7.3 for ages because it was great, but have been just as happy with 8's stability....
HOWEVER... it took quite a lot of sorting out of plugins to get to this point...
8 does seem to be far more susceptible to outdated plugs than PT7 was... But this is something that has been mentioned repeatedly by DTS and and many others on this forum.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:40 AM

I'd say that most of the pros that I know, myself included, that have to make money with their systems are working with 7.4. I do have an 8.3 LE system on my McBook Pro that I can use for travel, etc. but I'm not overly impressed.

7.4 does rule. I can't say that 8.3 is bad...just not going to rely upon it for my income. Digidesign/Avid can do way better, they just choose not to.

my 2 cents
Old 02-20-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uno1234 View Post
you are so insanely clueless. good luck out there
Clueless? And this is coming from a guy who can't:

-run a functioning studio
-set up and maintain a working DAW that doesn't crash much (and hasn't for 10 years)
-figure out workarounds
-not blame others for your weaknesses
-understand the realities that there are always bugs and always will be for 25 or more years.

Quote:
.. one day I will "convert" all my projects back to 7.4. I dream of that day.
If this video bug was so Pro Tools ruining, you'd be back on 7.4. You've had over a year to switch back.

I've replied to all your "good lo days" nonsense before, remember? You never defended your statements.

The good old days are often better, but rarely when talking about computers, especially digital audio. What were you thinking? So uno1234, please give me a clue.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerock View Post
I'd say that most of the pros that I know, myself included, that have to make money with their systems are working with 7.4. I do have an 8.3 LE system on my McBook Pro that I can use for travel, etc. but I'm not overly impressed.

7.4 does rule. I can't say that 8.3 is bad...just not going to rely upon it for my income. Digidesign/Avid can do way better, they just choose not to.

my 2 cents
I think you're missing a few "pros". I don't know if you'd call me a pro but I get paid by labels to produce records and I do it every month, the whole month, all year long while using P Tools 8.0.3 on an 8 core Mac Pro with a Magma PE6R4. Strangely enough, I have absolutely no problems with my system. Solid as a rock, VI's included. Go figure.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:09 PM

Could it be possibly that this disconnect between the bugless and the buggys in these threads is expectations. Maybe the bugless people like me come from the painful world of old school DAWs and/or Logic. We come to accept bugs and are overjoyed at the relatively bug free PT8 we enjoy now. The buggy people may be new to DAWs and have not formed realistic expectations yet and expect Pro Tools to run like a dialysis machine.

Personally, I get so much daily pleasure out of the seamless songwriting, gorgeous and usable sounding VIs and the many other features in PT8 that I would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather have a PT8 that folds four times a day than PT 7.4 that folds every once every four days.

(Luckily, mine doesn't fold four times a day but truthfully, mine does fold more than once every four days.)
Old 02-20-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru_C View Post
I have both rigs sitting next to each other here, i'm just comparing them.

Talke me through it. What have i said that is not accurate?

Many threads before this one have taken us through it. Your perception of having to turn off ADC for OD's is not the way it works. It seems you prefer the native system - which is fine. Audio 'bussing through cards' being less elegant is an opinion - not a fact as to which platform is better. It just is.

But DSP+Native still trumps Narive alone. That's not a perception. It's fact.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post
But DSP+Native still trumps Native alone. That's not a perception. It's fact.
Do a DUC search..like you, one of my repeated quotes is DSP+Native>Native.

....but unfortunately I just realized that I'm wrong...that may not be actually true in the case when the native component on the "DSP+Native"side is inferior to the native in the native DAW. In that case, the native of the native could be quite possibly superior to the TDM with the weak native side, power wise.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
Clueless? And this is coming from a guy who can't:

-run a functioning studio
-set up and maintain a working DAW that doesn't crash much (and hasn't for 10 years)
-figure out workarounds
-not blame others for your weaknesses
-understand the realities that there are always bugs and always will be for 25 or more years.

If this video bug was so Pro Tools ruining, you'd be back on 7.4. You've had over a year to switch back.

I've replied to all your "good lo days" nonsense before, remember? You never defended your statements.

The good old days are often better, but rarely when talking about computers, especially digital audio. What were you thinking? So uno1234, please give me a clue.

Relaxo
Sorry for my previous terse statement. Allow me to expand.

First. Every user puts different demands on their systems. Some people do more than others. I operate in a demanding environment. Literally every Pro Tools crash costs me more than what you charge per hour. (At least according to your Buy and Sell post which states that you charge $25-$35/hour.) A crash, reboot, reopen ProTools, relaunch large session on my systems takes 18-20 minutes on all 3 of my HD machines. So when you talk about how a crash in your studio is no big deal with clients sitting around, for me it is.

Second. Contrary to your baseless assertion, I operate a successful studio. We have had 25% increases in revenue for 3 years straight. Things are going very well for us which is probably in part why my demands on our systems are very high.

Third. We figure out workarounds. What else do you do? When you have 3 rooms all running right to the wire to meet an on-air deadline of 6 pm you just have to figure out a way to make it work, get it out the door, and then spend your nights trolling the DUC for solutions. Sometimes the solution is... Digi broke it. And that sucks. Sometimes there is a workaround. If you take all the time lost to workarounds I would have bought a boat by now. It all costs time and money, and as a facility owner it starts to get very frustrating.

Yes, there are always bugs. As a "power user" of PT for 12 years (yes that is a lame term, sorry), the PT8 release has been far and away the worst. It just has. Whether you want to accept this mediocrity as part of the technology, then fine. I don't.

I realize Relaxo we are living in different worlds. We have different demands on our systems. It's not right or wrong or better or worse, it's just what it is.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:46 AM

Oh and ps, no I don't think we should go back to v5.1 PT 5.1 actually worked very well, extensions manager or no.

And regarding switching back to 7.4:

To reopen sessions in 7.4 requires a rescan of every waveform. We have about 40 active sessions. To reopen small sessions might take an extra 2-3 minutes on 7.4. To reopen a large session could take 45 minutes. (I've been through this in a film project where it took 45 minutes to open every reel... 7 reels).

Besides that, once every waveform is rescanned every audio file is now marked with the current date. Our retrospect archive system then sees these as new audio files. To rebackup the 2TB of active projects we have between the HD and LE stations..... at $50 per 200 GB tape.... is another $500 lost to PT8.

Plus we now have new LE stations with imacs that don't run anything but Snow Leopard.

I guess that all isn't a big of a deal in and of itself, but forgive me for asking (demanding) major functions of the software to actually work. I'm thinking that going backwards down the technology vortex could be as hard as going forward. But upgrading our facility to PT8 was the single worst decision I ever made as a business owner in the past 7 years. I will take the blame for that.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
.... upgrading our facility to PT8 was the single worst decision I ever made as a business owner in the past 7 years. I will take the blame for that.
bold, brazen and truthful. KUDOs

many, many, many successful PT people simply won't

"go there" up in here.

refreshing reality check....thanks.

..and thank God for 7.4 "alternate" drive set up partitions

which are the main event in my shop

(which has produced over 3000 songs since 1986 generating a few million dollars)
(i don't have a boat...but i don't want a boat)

and will continue to be (period)

so until i see a change that is worth losing my UA plugs

and the ability to access and vitually call up sessions from several years back...

which is one of the greatest advantages

of what both pre-mortum or modern DAWz should be and do.